Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is the new song I'm learning. Is there a version which features both Bill Evans and Sonny Rollins ? If so, could you please tell me the exact album and year so that I can buy it ? Thanks !

· Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,865 Posts
I wish there was! But I don't think so...

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Nobby, Admark, Wags and Rhys. I didn't know you dudes had song of the month, that is a great idea, I wish we had that on Pianoworld.
The Bill Evans Tokyo version is one of my favourites. In fact I'm studying (singing) his solo now. It is very swinging.
Afterwards I'd like to learn Sonny's solo.

For the head I've decided to learn Grant Green's as it is straight up (which assists my learning the melody) and has a swing feel.

I will use Transcribe to transpose it from Eb to C.

Bill and Sonny do awesome solos but as you know, being so individualistic, don't often do a straight up head.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,122 Posts
Custard, check out the Tune of The Month this month, which is 'On Green Dolphin Street', maybe you will get some ideas there, lots of contributions this month.

BTW does anyone know where Green Dolphin Street is?
It should be in New Zealand if it exist at all.

Custard, why don't you have a go too on the TOTM? A piano version would be cool.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=178787

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mmm I would think so too Rennie. I've been to NZ a few times and haven't heard of it though.
Thanks for your invite, I'd like to take up your offer in July if the song's not too hard.
I take more than a month to know a standard.
I also liked the space and the runs in your version.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.