Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for metal ligatures that fit RIA soprano and tenor mouthpieces...

Anybody else by any chance owns/owned any of these pieces? If so, tell me what ligature you used...

·
Registered
604 Posts
I feel your pain, brother! I have a few RIA soprano pieces, and they play great WHEN you can find a lig to fit. Even the ligs that come with them are spotty. Let's keep in touch about this - maybe we can come up with something!

JB

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They do play great, but I currently have to use Rovners on them since that was the only thing I could easily find that fits. Both of my RIAs were worked on by MOJO as well.

Just bought a few ligatures today from WWBW, mainly to replace all the Rovner Darks/Lights I have on soprano/alto/tenor. Found a plain 2-screw alto ligature lying around, and tried it out on my HR alto mouthpiece... Wow, what a difference. My ears have been opened. :D When they come, I'll mix and match to see what fits.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're not missing anything; I am. That ligature was tested on a hard rubber alto mouthpiece. It's way too big for the RIA tenor.

Fixed previous post.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, the ligatures came in today. These are the following ligatures I got:

Selmer 401 and 402
Bonade Ligature for Soprano

Regarding the RIA soprano mouthpiece:

The Selmer 401 is too small, and the Selmer 402 is too big and a bit narrow.

Regarding the RIA tenor mouthpiece:

The Bonade soprano ligature is a bit too small. Need something a little bit bigger.

@sugaki: WWBW doesn't have the sizes that fit those mouthpieces in stock. Plus, they're pretty expensive.

Anyways, back to the drawing board...

·
Registered
240 Posts
It may be custom ligature time. I know that Aaron Drake makes ligatures in any size and will fit one to your mouthpiece. I think it may be a little cheaper than the Olegature.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
Or Marc Jean, He does make custom sized ligatures

1 - 9 of 9 Posts