Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though regular Olivieri alto reeds are discontinued, I recently bought a stash of Olivieri alto reeds. My teacher back in the early 80's swore by these reeds and a saxophonist I really respect, Bob Black from chicago, also recorded on these reeds...here's my question...

What does "tempered for peak performance" mean? It reads that these were made in Spain but where is the cane from? What is the story on these reeds? the Cut is like an american--french cut...it's half and half...

Any input is welcome on these...

·
Registered
928 Posts
Natural cut cane reeds are basically vegetable matter so I could not speak as to their longevity. I remember Olivieri as the best reed I've ever had the privilege to put on a alto saxophone hr mouthpiece. To this day I don't know why, when moistening them, their taste was so sweet and with a response so very smooth. Remarkable! I used #3 strength until one day they were suddenly no longer available. :(

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got about 10 boxes of Olivieris...the kicker is they are 4.5's! :) but it's ok..cause a couple swipes of the ol' reed knife has them down in my edge of teh stratospehere...These reeds are very interesting...

·
Registered
141 Posts
nitrosax said:
Even though regular Olivieri alto reeds are discontinued, I recently bought a stash of Olivieri alto reeds. My teacher back in the early 80's swore by these reeds and a saxophonist I really respect, Bob Black from chicago, also recorded on these reeds...here's my question...

What does "tempered for peak performance" mean? It reads that these were made in Spain but where is the cane from? What is the story on these reeds? the Cut is like an american--french cut...it's half and half...

Any input is welcome on these...
I used to buy Olivieri reeds for clarinet. Loved them and still playing my stash.
I think "tempered" means that they are baked a wee bit to harden them.
I believe the cane comes from Spain.
Too bad they're not made for alto sax anymore.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
When Olivieri reeds first cam around they were dipped in resin, which is what the tempered ment. Years later they stopped doing that to the reeds, but still used the Tempered boxes because they had the boxes pre made. This is from Phil Muncy, who is distributing the reeds now. Most people never used the actual tempered reeds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,966 Posts
I bought several boxes of them over the years and never found a single reed that was worth a crap. It all depends on what you're looking for in a reed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,566 Posts
1saxman said:
I bought several boxes of them over the years and never found a single reed that was worth a crap. It all depends on what you're looking for in a reed.
Same experience here. Only reeds I ever pulled splinters out of straight from the box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts