Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever played on a Olegature before? I found one kinda cheap but I want to have other people's opinions about them before I make up my mind.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
They are OK - they can give a nice sound. Apparently, adjsuting one scre or the other is supposed to adjust the response. They don't always sit very securely on the mouthpiece and are inclined to slide around and its isn't easy to make small adjustments to how your reed is lined up. They will mark your mouthpiece, so bear this in mind if it is especially valuable. The screws can wear out easily, although this hasn't happened to me. They do not come with a cap and it can be hard to find something to fit - best try the cap from a Rovner. In summary, they are worth considering but I find the disadvantages outweigh the benefits. I bought mine cheaply so I'm not too bothered, I wouldn't have been happy at all if I'd paid the full price.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm kind of repeating what I said on some thread about Winslow ligatures, but I've found the Olegature to be really excellent, and though I've never been a real equipment freak to begin with (too expensive, and YOU are the one in charge of your sound), I'm satisfied enough that I don't feel any need to look for anything else. Of course, maybe you could ignore what I say exactly because I haven't tried hundreds of different ligatures.

I bought one (for $60+ from WWBW in 2000 - how cheap is the one you're looking at?) because I saw a lot of very good, very experienced players switching to them. In short, I'd say buy it - it does a good job, and for God's sake, it's just doing the job of keeping the reed in place without screwing up anything else or choking off the reed vibration.

Incidentally, if you do buy it, make sure to put a little tape (like gaffer's tape or something with a little thickness and texture) on top of your mpc. so the ligature doesn't slip around - that can be an issue, especially if the mpc. is tight on the neck.

·
Registered
183 Posts
singlereed,

I had screw breakage problems until I put tape on the mpc. I was overtightening to avoid slippage. I actually talked to the maker, Oleg, when I was ordering more screws, and he said it's designed to be used in conjunction with a "sticky pad", which he sent me and which actually looks like an ordinary clear mpc. patch. Woodwind & Brasswind neglected to include any pad or usage information, so I think a lot of people might be misled in how to actually best use the things. Like I said above, I prefer thicker, slightly "gummy" tape on top of my mpc. The result: no more slipping ligature, no more overtightened screws, no more screw breakage, just clear, natural sound.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The Olegature comes supplied with a plastic (or rubber) Ligature Grip. The Olegature will not work properly without this Grip applied to the top of the mouthpiece (side opposite the reed). This Grip keeps the Olegature from slipping during adjustment. Many mistake it as a Rico sticker in the box and ignore it.

Yes, adjusting the Olegature's screws is also essential. Increasing lower screw pressure stiffens the spring of the reed, simulating harder reed characteristics: darker tone with increasing resistance.
Increasing upper screw pressure focuses and brightens the sound. In conjunction with decreased lower screw pressure, it reduces resistance and broadens the sound.

Hope this helps you to enjoy your new Olegature! As for a cap, a Smart Cap from François Louis works on everything!

Have fun,
deb

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
The grip idea makes sense and I think is a recent enhancement in response to the problem I mentioned above. I have bought 3 or 4 of these from the main supplier in the UK, in original packaging, and no pad was supplied. This would have been 3 or 4 years ago and was stock closeout as I think there has been a change of distributor. Anyway, as I said, I like it but i think it has weaknesses and the tape or pad would address one of them. I paid about $35 new for mine, except the one that was free with my Keilwerth Anniversary.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have an olegature and love it. I got it and an optimum for less than 20$ and ended up liking the Oleg more. I use it both on my Runyon Custom and my Vandoren AL4

1 - 8 of 8 Posts