Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Mark VI for the first time. Forgive my ignorance- how many keys can be fitted with the Oleg key silencers? Is it just the Bb and C, or are there others that use ball joints?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,373 Posts
I’m not sure what the product is, but you can easily contact the Oleg company through their website.

·
Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire
986 Posts
I'm not sure why people are wanting to replace the ball joints. I have them on my tenor and alto, never had a problem with them. They are not noisy--you just have to oil them once in a while.

The action is no slower than on a horn without ball joints.

What's the issue with them? I don't get it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,223 Posts
These are just for the side Bb and C at least by design. They work perfectly and I’ve had them on my alto for years.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Just bought a Mark VI for the first time. Forgive my ignorance- how many keys can be fitted with the Oleg key silencers? Is it just the Bb and C, or are there others that use ball joints?
If noise is an issue, I have had good success using Music Medic Ultimax pivot screw grease on the ball joints. If the movement is a bit too sluggish you can add a drop of Ultimax key oil to change the viscosity a bit. It lasts for a long time before needing to be redone.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,372 Posts
I've never heard of key silencers. I would suggest that if the keys are noisy, it's time for a trip to the tech. There are likely other issues as well. In fact, it's been well over a year since I had my VI tenor checked out and the lower stack keys are getting a bit noisy, so I'll be taking it in for a checkup soon.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
If noise is an issue, I have had good success using Music Medic Ultimax pivot screw grease on the ball joints. If the movement is a bit too sluggish you can add a drop of Ultimax key oil to change the viscosity a bit. It lasts for a long time before needing to be redone.
SPOT on (pun intended!)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,373 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,223 Posts
Seems like a lot of Oleg haters but these replace the Ball Joints perfectly. I did talk to Oleg on the phone MANY years ago to I get why his fans are hard to find. If you don't mind the rattle or constantly having to have your repair guy rebuild or oil those side keys then keep the ball joints. I don't really notice any sort of speed difference, it was really about quieting the horn long term.

I got a great price on a beat up Mark VI alto so I didn't mind the extra $$$ for the Oleg parts.

·
Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire
986 Posts
Seems like a lot of Oleg haters but these replace the Ball Joints perfectly. I did talk to Oleg on the phone MANY years ago to I get why his fans are hard to find. If you don't mind the rattle or constantly having to have your repair guy rebuild or oil those side keys then keep the ball joints. I don't really notice any sort of speed difference, it was really about quieting the horn long term.

I got a great price on a beat up Mark VI alto so I didn't mind the extra $$$ for the Oleg parts.
Not sure who you are referring to about being an Oleg hater. Far from it. My tech just ordered one of their front F assemblies for my Mark VI soprano.

As for their ball joint replacements, I simply stated I don't see the need for them. As I said, I have that same assembly on my tenor and alto and don't have any rattling. I've owned both horns for more than 30 years.

My alto hardly comes out of its case (and it has never rattled), but my tenor was my main tenor for 20+ years, and saw a lot of mileage. I oil my horns once or twice a year depending on how much they get played, and under what circumstances they are being used.

I do not recall having to oil the ball joints more to stop a rattle in all the years I've owned the horn... Come to think of it, I do recall they did rattle really badly once, but that was after the tenor sat for about 5 years when I didn't it. Once oiled however, they were fine again, and have been fine since.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts