Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this horn pop up a couple times, not to often, but it looks to me like a very unique professional instrument. But aside from the crazy flute-like key cups, neat bell engraving (Including fancy script around the rim of the bell) and cool looking wire key gaurds it looks just like a Martin Committee II body with some differernt keywork. Is this horn really a pro horn, or is it just an average stencil with low quality control? I've heard that a shipment of these horns were bought by the US army but the boat sunk, is this why this horn is rare? Can I still find this horn, or do I have to go scubadiving?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,862 Posts
Got one behind my sofa, waiting on an overhaul.
I must say it is one of those horns that just looks like it will play up a storm.
I know that makes no sense at all, but that is my impression nonetheless.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,209 Posts
I've seen several on ebay but none with a decent finish. You are right about the Martin Com connection as they tend to be the same with a Fullerton keywork. The nickel rim on the bell was a trademark carried over from the Super brass models. I will pick one up when the right one appears! Most are altos and I have seen about 3 Tenors.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,862 Posts
Bruce have you seen any with engraving on the bell rim as the poster above describes?

Mine is a laq model tenor....would love to hear from someone who plays or has played one. I'd like to get some idea of how it plays and sounds.

·
21,209 Posts
All the ones I have seen have the nickel band under the bell rim with Ss on their side which stand for Super. This should be about the same as the Trumpets. Also the Olds Super Cornet was one of the better ones.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,442 Posts
Randall, Im flying over and digging under your furnature and in the cracks of your couch! Anything not catalogued and etched with you name is mine ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey guys. I just posted a lengthy post about the Olds Super responding to a thread on the Martin (stencil) category of the forum. Would love to hear any input you may have.

Seems more appropriate here but didn't want to duplicate a post listed somewhere else (I don't know the protocol about such things on this forum. Anyone?)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,143 Posts
That's ridiculous! I sold one last year for $600 in great playing condition, it was a neat horn but gimme a break. I think the sunken ship thing is a load, but I guess it makes a great story and drives the prices up...

·
21,209 Posts
I'm watching that one. I paid over $1,500 for an alto this summer needing pads and we all know how cheap I am! These are terrific horns. My Alto is #111.

·
Banned
419 Posts
I owned one years ago. A re-lacquered one that was easily the coolest looking, best sounding horn I ever had. Trouble was, it was terribly out of tune! I'll admit that at the time I wasn't the most expereinced player so I took it around to some good players who all came to the same conclusion. Bottom line, I wouldn't pay a fraction of what they are selling for today unless you are rich and like to take risk! I paid about $500 for mine in 2000, and got that in trade towards my Chu since the person taking it wanted it for his collection (where it belongs)! I'm sure some play great, I just got unlucky in my haste for buying such a beautiful piece of bling! :D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts