Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-- Had a soprano drop in my lap not too long ago (the horn, not a singer), and I'm having a hard time finding any info about it. It's a straight soprano, branded Olds, Elkhart Ind, serial number #3xxx. I can't find any reference to Olds sopranos, or even just saxes with a 4-digit SN. Any info at all, I'd appreciate it!
Thanks--
Jeff

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
publish pictures

the fact that the serial number appears to be incongruous may mean many things, fro example that olds may have not made this sax themselves ( not all companies made the full line of instruments they sold ) and purchased it from another company

Registered
Probably a Martin, Buescher, Holton, or Conn.

Unfortunately it's harder to ID stencil sopranos than others because there's less there to work with.

Good luck. It'll probably play well if you use a middle of the road mouthpiece and push it a lot further on the cork than you think you should.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
Glad it wasn't a singer....my recollection is sopranos can be quite......heavy. :|

We need photos. Serial # and engraving aren't enough to ID a stencil.

Interesting, however...if it is an older horn, because I have never seen a vintage Olds soprano before. However, based upon your description of engraving, it could also just be a modern asian horn, which is what Oldses have been since around the mid-eighties.

To Post photo:

go to reply window, click 'advanced' button below it, on subsequent page scroll down to 'attachments' button and click, then upload pics to this thread.

Distinguished SOTW Member
Olds never made a sax - they were all stencils and mainly by Martin. If your soprano has thick tone rings with a curved or beveled edge to make a narrow seating ring it would be a Martin with soldered-in tone rings.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
Yup, it's a contemporary horn, more or less. Could be 5 years old or 20....

Asian made, perhaps Taiwanese, maybe chinese. These are what Oldses are nowadays.

Might not be a bad horn, but its market value is relatively low...as in, if it plays OK, perhaps you could maybe get $350-400 for it.

If it doesn't play and needs work, more like $150-ish.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Almost certainly Chinese based on Yanagisawa , I am not even sure that the etched Olds brand is authorized

1 - 8 of 8 Posts