Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,814 Posts
Thank you! I've seen this site. A little more than I think I'd like to spend at the moment.. but I understand that that's just how much they cost.
First off, thank you @TinyC for the shout out.

Secondly, @jenerally .....as I said, and others have intimated, you try for a sub-$500 used tenor...you are rolling the dice significantly.
There are bottom-prices to every market. $400 is below the bottom.

This doesn't mean folks do NOT find good, reputable brand play-condition Tenors for $400...now and then....but those are outliers, and a good amount of luck comes into play.

·
18,814 Posts
Thank you for this :). I understand the uncertainties that come along with buying from Ebay, but this helped me quantify those worries.
I do wonder though.. who is bidding on all these old irreparable saxes?
a) People who foolishly interpret the seller's description as meaning "it won't need any work" and think they will NOT have to pay a tech to adjust it up.

b) People who dabble in horn repair as a hobby.

c) Peop[le (like me) who buy non-playing or questionable horns and do a total pro refurb on them, to re-sell*

*(notsomuch c) in this case for this one, as a Parisian which is already gonna go for $300 as-is has no refurb & flip potential for any sort of profit)

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,354 Posts
Here's my eBay story. In 2007 I had save up a few bucks and since I'd always wanted to try tenor sax I started bidding on tenors. I'd heard good things about vintage Conn saxes but I didn't know much about which models were desirable vs. those that were less desirable. Long story short, I was the winning bid on a 1957 vintage 10M, not the most desirable year. I got it for a very reasonable $600. One look at it and I could see it needed a complete re-pad. I took it into the best shop in town and they showed me all the reasons it needed no only a re-pad but an overhaul. $900 later I had a $1500 Conn 10M that was probably not worth what I had in it. The moral of this story is, if you're sax-naive, you are going to end up spending a lot more than you planned. There are no 'cheap' tenor saxophones out there.

Someone had a like-new Chateau tenor sax made in Taiwan for sale here yesterday. I think he's asking $1600. I test played one a year or two ago and impressed by the build quality and the ease of play. That's about as good a deal as you'll find anywhere. It's for all intents a new pro sax for the price of a second hand student horn. I think the seller is deltamikesierra. I don't know the seller. I'm just familiar with the product, meaning I tested one like it for about 10 minutes two years ago, so take that for what it's worth.

I've had some dealings with George (JayeLID) of 2nd Ending. He's honest and easy to work with and between you and me, he works too cheap for his own good. By that I mean he should be charging more.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,091 Posts
There should be no confusion between the primitive Ambassador and the more modern Parisian, even if it does have 'Parisian Ambassador' on it - they did that deliberately to link the Parisian to the Ambassador as a step-up by the same maker (Olds) which was a popular sax even though it was very basic - LH bell keys, in-line tone holes and bell, etc. The Olds Parisian was made mostly in France by Pierret. 'Ambassador' keys will never fit any Parisian and if 'JayeLid' has indeed 'refurbished' 25 of them including the several manufacturers, he really should know that without even having to research it.

·
18,814 Posts
There should be no confusion between the primitive Ambassador and the more modern Parisian, even if it does have 'Parisian Ambassador' on it - they did that deliberately to link the Parisian to the Ambassador as a step-up by the same maker (Olds) which was a popular sax even though it was very basic - LH bell keys, in-line tone holes and bell, etc. The Olds Parisian was made mostly in France by Pierret. 'Ambassador' keys will never fit any Parisian and if 'JayeLid' has indeed 'refurbished' 25 of them including the several manufacturers, he really should know that without even having to research it.
Hmmmmm.....I submit....You are a bit confooooosed there sir.

Since you seemingly didn't bother reading the rest of this thread, and what others had contributed to it....lemme give you a drive-by version on Ambassador saxes.....

1) Olds Ambassadors were made by Martin and Buescher. They are Martin Indianas or Buescher 20/30A's. Later, in the 70's, it seems Ambassadors were subcontracted to Santoni, Italy for a short while.
We ain't discussing any of those.

2) CONCURRENTLY with offering THAT line of saxes thru the 50's and 60's, Olds offered the Parisian lines.
They didn't come before or after the Ambassadors, they appear in old Olds catalogs simultaneously with Ambassadors.

3) Pierret made TWO versions of the Parisians: the "Parisian", and the "Parisian Ambassador". The first being earlier, the second later.
They are generally speaking the same design, but the Ambassador versions are cheapened down a bit and not as substantial a horn, not as precisely fabricated.
Again - in case you missed it - one can go looking for a thread here where a member did a pretty good comparative study of the two Pierret versions.
So, yup, many parts of a Parisian will fit a Parisian Ambassador, and vice versa...not all, no, but many....because again, the latter was a cheapened-down version of the former...
'Primitive' is not a completely ridiculous descriptor (a bit over the top, but)...but to describe the Parisians as 'more modern' is a bit of a stretch.
More accurately, they are just more precisely fabricated and feel more responsive under the fingers. The Ambassadors feel a bit 'janky' in comparison....but this can be improved upon by a tech taking care of some fabrication issues.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts