Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I've recently taken up the tenor sax after 15 years of playing trumpet.
I'm currently renting one for the month of July, but I think I like it enough to continue playing. I've been looking on Ebay and feel a bit in over my head. But I recently came across an Olds Parisian Tenor Saxophone.

The description reads:
Olds Parisian Tenor Saxophone Made in France. Not to be confused with the Ambassador, this is the pro model! Beautiful engravings, has scratches laquer loss, but no major dents or damage. Horn has been played a lot and for good reason it sounds amazing with that distinct French sound. Pads look good with a lot of life left. Recently taken to the shop last year and plays great I noticed one pad that tended to stick sometimes. Good idea to get it adjusted anyway after shipping. Original case in used condition sturdy, but has small damage areas. Comes with 2 neck straps, mouthpiece, ligature,cleaning cloth, and Original Neck. Stand is not included. Sold as is No returns. Thanks for looking!
I've done some research on these models and they seem to be intermediate, but sturdy for what they are. I am looking to place a bid, and was thinking $250 to be my absolute max (with $45 shipping).
Does that seem like a good price? Or should I raise it to $300?

Thank you!

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,755 Posts
Hard to say without seeing it, and more importantly, playing it.

These can be decent horns. I have a Parisian Alto I am rebuilding.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,422 Posts
it could be a buffet stencil but we need a pic . the ambassabor is a student horn and not that great.

·
3,422 Posts
i took a look -thats an ambassabor . these are stuffy sounding. a much better horn for almost the same $ are buescher/bundy 1 and king 615. or a yamaha yts23. i would keep looking

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
i took a look -thats an ambassabor . these are stuffy sounding. a much better horn for almost the same $ are buescher/bundy 1 and king 615. or a yamaha yts23. i would keep looking
Are you sure?

·
3,422 Posts
so do the ambassadors. these and the one in the ebay listing that says parisian are the same horn . take a look at this pic of an ambassador

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
If its made in France good chance it's Pierret made - but - you'll need some decent images.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the price is quickly going up 😅 I haven't seen anything else decent go for under $350 (understandably) recently

·
Registered
Tenor: Keilwerth EX90 II
38 Posts
I’ve always read that the “Parisian” and “Parisian Ambassador” were different horns, with the Parisian being the better of the two. I had a Parisian Ambassador for a while, and besides the name engraving, this does look pretty identical. While mine wasn’t as awful as some say, I definitely agree you can probably do better for the money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve always read that the “Parisian” and “Parisian Ambassador” were different horns, with the Parisian being the better of the two. I had a Parisian Ambassador for a while, and besides the name engraving, this does look pretty identical. While mine wasn’t as awful as some say, I definitely agree you can probably do better for the money.
Hmm do you have any suggestions for looking other than Ebay?

·
Registered
38 Posts
An active member here sells affordable entry-level horns, serviced and play-ready at Saxes - 2ndEnding.com.

I haven’t dealt with him personally, but he has an excellent reputation here on the forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
An active member here sells affordable entry-level horns, serviced and play-ready at Saxes - 2ndEnding.com.

I haven’t dealt with him personally, but he has an excellent reputation here on the forum.
Thank you! I've seen this site. A little more than I think I'd like to spend at the moment.. but I understand that that's just how much they cost.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you! I've seen this site. A little more than I think I'd like to spend at the moment.. but I understand that that's just how much they cost.
Yep, I was in the same boat when I started, hence the Olds. It was the cheapest thing for sale in my area… and it still needed $80 worth of work! 😂

Depending on where you are, a playable tenor for under 400 is reeeally tough to find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, I was in the same boat when I started, hence the Olds. It was the cheapest thing for sale in my area… and it still needed $80 worth of work! 😂

Depending on where you are, a playable tenor for under 400 is reeeally tough to find.
I'm actually in a very musically oriented (ensemble) area. I feel like that should've made it easier to find one, but I've found that everything is directed towards kids in school or ridiculously priced for pros.
Even finding this one for rent.. it was $120/school year but I had to pay $75/month because I wasn't associated with a school! >:-(

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can find ok deals on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace sometimes, and you can play-test those.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,785 Posts
I've been looking on Ebay and feel a bit in over my head. But I recently came across an Olds Parisian Tenor Saxophone.
I am looking to place a bid, and was thinking $250 to be my absolute max (with $45 shipping).
Does that seem like a good price? Or should I raise it to $300?
Before we even discuss the model....two things here (related):

1) eBay ain't the best venue for a beginner to buy a horn.

2) Are you under the impression that you can secure a good, play-condition Tenor sax for $300 ?

First, UNLESS the seller guarantees that the sax is in good playing condition...it isn't. So you would have an expenditure post-purchase for local tech work.
The description you pasted...there's enough weasel wording in it for me to assume this horn will need at LEAST a tech adjust...around $100-150 absolute MINIMUM.
Add tax and shipping to all that...$300 horn, $50 shipping, $125 tech work = $475 minimum is your investment. But it might get up $550-600.

Next....revise yourself to a realistic Tenor budget. $525-550 minimum, shipped. This for a horn which seller declares to be in guaranteed play condition with no significant issues.
That is what one needs to secure a used Tenor which will be reliable and ready to play.

As you see, the "realistic tenor budget" is very CLOSE to the "eBay horn plus tech work" figure....illustrating that that is the sort of expenditure one needs to make.

FINALLY....the Parisian. Yes, NOT a BAD horn at all, and YES, these were a bit better than their later iteration "Parisian Ambassador" cousins. They intone well, sound beautiful, are pretty user-friendly.
So it wouldn't be a BAD horn, once all set up and playing in good tack.

Some would argue that $550 can get you a better model...which may be true. If someone said to me "I have $550 total for a Tenor, give me a short list of what to look for"...The Olds probably would not make that short list.

But, if one stumbles across one...I would also say having spent $550 on it...wasn't a dumb thing to do, by any means.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,785 Posts
so do the ambassadors. these and the one in the ebay listing that says parisian are the same horn . take a look at this pic of an ambassador
Just to clarify, for posterity sake:

Parisian and Parisian Ambassadors are not exactly the same horn. A while ago, a member here did a thread on the comparison of the two. There are differences, leading one to conclude the earlier Parisians are better made. I concur with that, after having refurbed around 25 Parisian and Parisian Ambassadors over the years.

Yes, Pierret-made.

NOW...where I see YOUR point is this:

MOST Parisians had lacquer keys and dark rollers. Parisian Ambassadors had nickle keys and white plastic rollers.
This "Parisian" DOES look like a Parisian Ambassador...thus....one wonders whether there were some Parisian-engraved bodies still left floating around which were outfitted with the cheapened-down Ambassador hardware....(?)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Before we even discuss the model....two things here (related):

1) eBay ain't the best venue for a beginner to buy a horn.

2) Are you under the impression that you can secure a good, play-condition Tenor sax for $300 ?

First, UNLESS the seller guarantees that the sax is in good playing condition...it isn't. So you would have an expenditure post-purchase for local tech work.
The description you pasted...there's enough weasel wording in it for me to assume this horn will need at LEAST a tech adjust...around $100-150 absolute MINIMUM.
Add tax and shipping to all that...$300 horn, $50 shipping, $125 tech work = $475 minimum is your investment. But it might get up $550-600.

Next....revise yourself to a realistic Tenor budget. $525-550 minimum, shipped. This for a horn which seller declares to be in guaranteed play condition with no significant issues.
That is what one needs to secure a used Tenor which will be reliable and ready to play.

As you see, the "realistic tenor budget" is very CLOSE to the "eBay horn plus tech work" figure....illustrating that that is the sort of expenditure one needs to make.

FINALLY....the Parisian. Yes, NOT a BAD horn at all, and YES, these were a bit better than their later iteration "Parisian Ambassador" cousins. They intone well, sound beautiful, are pretty user-friendly.
So it wouldn't be a BAD horn, once all set up and playing in good tack.

Some would argue that $550 can get you a better model...which may be true. If someone said to me "I have $550 total for a Tenor, give me a short list of what to look for"...The Olds probably would not make that short list.

But, if one stumbles across one...I would also say having spent $550 on it...wasn't a dumb thing to do, by any means.
Thank you for this :). I understand the uncertainties that come along with buying from Ebay, but this helped me quantify those worries.
I do wonder though.. who is bidding on all these old irreparable saxes?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts