Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being from the era of Willy Smith & Benny Carter I am very partial to the
sweet lyrical sound that they produced.I bought a Yanagisawa 880 00115xxx
alto and it(and the owner of course) produces a very lovely sound.I have a few questions please.
When was this instrument made?Is the 800 and the 880 basically the same horn?Does the 880 tenor have the same characteristics as the alto?
Are the new Yanis superior to the old ones?(I do not see how they could be much better than the alto?I have a beat up 1950 12M bari and am considering upgrading when I finally get some cash to a more modern
horn.How does this vintage Yani bari rate?

·
Registered
4 Posts
>Is the 800 and the 880 basically the same horn?

So far as i know the 800 and 880 is almost similar.
The 880 comes with a Gold-Plated neck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
kaz2007 said:
>Is the 800 and the 880 basically the same horn?

So far as i know the 800 and 880 is almost similar.
The 880 comes with a Gold-Plated neck.
You sure about that? :shock: I've yet to see one that did. Of course, I haven't seen them all.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,478 Posts
My 880 alto, bought new in 1988 did not come with a gold-plated neck. Nor was I told that option was available (probably wouldn't have mattered to me anyway).

I DID buy an aftermarket MKVII neck and had it fitted on the horn before I took delivery of it. DAVE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dave Dolson said:
My 880 alto, bought new in 1988 did not come with a gold-plated neck. Nor was I told that option was available (probably wouldn't have mattered to me anyway).

I DID buy an aftermarket MKVII neck and had it fitted on the horn before I took delivery of it. DAVE
Oh!
Maybe my misunderstandings on GP neck.
I ve seen 3 tenors (T880) and 1 alto (A880) and all they have GP neck (in Japan).
So I thought that GP neck came with 880.

Anyway IMO, both 800 and 880 are great horns!
Im going to get it.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 800 usually have "normal" octave mechanism, the 880 the underslung one. The 800 has an "non ribbed" construction, whereas 880 has the ribbed one. Low c and H has double arm construction on the 880. Both are terricfic instruments. I am a proud owner of a T800 from 1988 with underslung octave. Sometimes I think it depends on which partsbin the guy assemblying the sax reached into. If the condition is allright it´s a very safe purchase!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts