Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
How do the older Vito tenors and altos compare with the newer (Japan) Vito horns?
There's no simple answer. The name "Vito" has been applied to a wide variety of instruments made by several different manufacturers. As far as I know the following have all been labeled "Vito" and there may well have been others:

Beaugnier
Yanagisawa
Yamaha
LeBlanc
and maybe even Holton?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a Vito VSP Baritone that has the Yanagisawa Lyre stamped on it. It plays like a dreams and I love it. But I've also played several vintage French Vitos that were great also but a completely different animal. It's like comparing apples and something that's not apples.

Both play well but nothing alike.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The French ones are killer horns.
The Japanese ones can be Yanagisawa which are awesome or Yamaha which are horns that can do everything you want to do.

I don't like the Jupiter ones though...

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Yes the French Vito's and Yanagisawa Vito's are excellent as are the Kenosha's, the Jupiter ones are not so so good and I would not recommend these at all.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How can you tell which is which? My newer Vito is very different from my Japan Vito, but I don't know what it is. It does sound better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
VSP is the model name, it is the same as Yanagisawa a800. It seems there are some variations too. Mine doesn't have double arm and no "800" stamped. Some has double arm with 800 stamped. They have ribbed construction and blue steel spring. In fact, there are two listed in the for sale section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts