Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this strap in the case when I bought a 1957 Mark 6 tenor saxophone. There were other accessories like an old saxophone stand from the 60s made from steel with that special hammer tone coating, but I find this strap really interesting. I can't imagine this was originally made for tenor, but I'm sure you will be able to tell me details about it. The part that says "Selmer" is plastic. The back is black and says "Made in England".

View attachment 215894 View attachment 215896 View attachment 215898

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
667 Posts
Looks like a double hook bass clarinet strap, similar to what i had in 1958 at the University of Illinois band.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
I agree it is an ordinary saxophone strap with a bent hook , I also have one somewhere and it is bent out of shape too (in a slightly different way).

I bet it got caught somehow and was pulled

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bent the hook a bit back into shape, adjusted the strap, and now it really does look like an ordinary sax strap. After I had bought that horn I started a thread about lacquer and engraving, and someone pointed out the lacquer with its dark touch was "British style", so maybe that strap which was "made in England" might be another clue.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
I don’t know about that being a clue. I have a couple of those straps and they were used on 60’ Selmers sold in the NL and I doubt they were from the UK (other than the strap).

·
Registered
917 Posts
View attachment 216080

Oh.... I love geeky threads.... I’m in.

I used to collect vintage sax straps (sad, I know). In fact I still have them, but I don’t hunt them down any more!!!!!

Just had a look. I’m sure I have quite a few of the cream/white version somewhere, as per the opening post version, but can’t find them at the moment.

But I did find some others by Selmer which may be of interest. Here is a picture.

The black one on the left is probably from the same era as the cream one. Same golden adjusting mechanism.

The other three are earlier.
The two cream ones are identical. Ive just showed both sides of the adjustable part to let folks see what is written on them The cream neck part is plastic.

The last one on the right one is near identical, but the reverse side doesn’t have a patent number. The black/neck part is leather (I think )

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
View attachment 216080

Oh.... I love geeky threads.... I’m in.

I used to collect vintage sax straps (sad, I know).
Collecting vintage sax straps is much cheaper than collecting vintage saxes ;-)
Thanks for joining the thread, and I believe, just like you, the first one on the left is from the same period. I might pass on this strap to a collector in Germany (if I find one....) because my neck does not tolerate heavy weights like a tenor or an alto anymore at 67. That's why I use straps that put the weight on shoulders and my back. I find them a lot more comfortable. My favourite one is called "Freeneck". It's not cool enough for young guys on the stage, but I do love mine because it really frees my neck of pain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts