Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know exactly what his Vandoren alto is and from what era? Assuming it is 50's at the latest and probably older. No model indication. Medium round chamber.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
This is a transitional model from after the Diamond Perfecta. The next one is the V1.

Vandoren history is really spotty before the “Tonal Focus” and Vincent J Abato mouthpieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have to go look up Diamond Perfecta and V1---I'm clueless on Vandorens. Thanks.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Here's a link with some old ads for Vandoren Mouthpieces - the Perfecta, Tonal Focus, and S Special: https://nicolastrefeil.com/vandoren-mouthpieces-museum

I used to have one that I think was very similar to yours that I actually sold to my teacher in high school - it was in a case with an old horn I got, and he tried it and liked it so much that he offered me $100 and a free lesson on the spot. I was fine with that since I liked my Meyer more but I'm curious now what it was.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Here's a link with some old ads for Vandoren Mouthpieces - the Perfecta, Tonal Focus, and S Special: https://nicolastrefeil.com/vandoren-mouthpieces-museum

I used to have one that I think was very similar to yours that I actually sold to my teacher in high school - it was in a case with an old horn I got, and he tried it and liked it so much that he offered me $100 and a free lesson on the spot. I was fine with that since I liked my Meyer more but I'm curious now what it was.
There really isn’t a whole lot of info until the V5. Even Vandoren doesn’t know. At some point, I believe that there was a relationship between Riffault and Vandoren. I’ve seen too many old Vandorens and Riffaults that are identical and you’d have to be blind not to see it.

I think the V1 was Vandoren’s first in house mouthpiece, which is why they say on their website that they started making mouthpieces in 1959, even though you can find earlier ones.

I haven’t found concrete proof yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
707 Posts
Possibly our Danish member Peterogping, who is a real expert in the field of less common vintage mouthpieces, can shed more light on the question.

Several years ago, I bought a Vandoren tenor piece from him. Mine looks rather similar to your alto piece, except that it has a single ring instead of a double ring on the shank. I remember that Peterogping praised the quality of the hard rubber used at the time by Vandoren, and your piece looks in excellent shape, too.

Why not shoot him a PM or contact him on his website http://www.saxmundstykker.dk/mouthpieces.html ... warning... don't go there with mouthpiece GAS!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts