Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was scanning all of my paper docs, trying to downsize, and came across my appraisal and receipts for my MKVI Bb Bari.

This got me thinking as I am thinking about selling off some of the heard:(

Emilio sold me the Bari and overhauled it. It has always had a (not unpleasant) "Old spice" essence / odor / whatever to it.

After 10 years, it's still there. I don't mind it, it's actually quite pleasant and I'm not a super taster/ smeller or what ever, just a normal sense of taste/ smell AFAIK.

Are there any thoughts about what the Sax Doc used?

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
... Emilio sold me the Bari and overhauled it. It has always had a (not unpleasant) "Old spice" essence / odor / whatever to it.

After 10 years, it's still there. I don't mind it, it's actually quite pleasant and I'm not a super taster/ smeller or what ever, just a normal sense of taste/ smell AFAIK.
It seems he did quite a bit of experimenting with pad applications on customers' horns. Perhaps it was Old Spice after-shave. :)

·
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems he did quite a bit of experimenting with pad applications on customers' horns. Perhaps it was Old Spice after-shave. :)
Probably a special industrial strength Old Spice, lasts 10 years (and counting!)

·
17,204 Posts
Perhaps it had ambergris added to release the smell very gradually. Ha!

·
1,451 Posts
Here I was thinking there would be pics of a real interesting stencil horn.

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
That was back when Helen Mirren was briefly the fifth Spice Girl.

They had to fire her because she was too sexy for the rest of them.

·
17,204 Posts
Did she breath on it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,227 Posts
BSG - Is the smell in the case as well? I wonder if someone tried to cover a funky smell, and you gained a different funky smell in the trade?

·
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BSG - Is the smell in the case as well? I wonder if someone tried to cover a funky smell, and you gained a different funky smell in the trade?
No, it came without a case so I bought a Pro Tec case for it (delayed response :) ) Thinking this through, it probably has something to do with the design of the Bari,
same reason it doesn't need to be swabbed - except the pig tail.

·
7,973 Posts
I had a YBS61 which had a red wine smell to it.
I assume a glass or two had been splashed into the case at some point.
It it was not unpleasant either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts