Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,
On modern sopranos, there is a little hole on the octave key, so it cannot be closed totally when playing high notes, D, D#, etc.
On my old soprano, when I press the octave key, the hole is totally closed, there is no gap for an air flow. I have problems with these high notes, and I wonder if a cork is missing, which may allow to leave a little gap on the the octave hole, when pressing the octave key.
How is yours?
With thanks,
Éric

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,616 Posts
what do you mean a hole in the octave key? Some modern sopranos have either a C pad that has two keys one on top of another or another arrangement (like the keilwerth ) but the 3 sopranos that I have now don't have a hole in the octave key..........I think. Anyway this C mechanism is often times not working well in many modern sopranos.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
I think you mean the little key with a hole in beneath the C key. This means that as you open the C for an open C# on the lower register there is a bigger tonehole open than the C# in the upper register.

On an instrument without this feature, it should be fully open for C# and above.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,616 Posts
that's what I thought too, not all sopranos have it, Yamaha 475's don't , Keilwerth has two independent keys, and SML has nothing too. The BW curved had a doubel (on on top of another) C arrangement.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
729 Posts
On sopranos without the key on key hole, a little gap need to be regulated to vent the high C# properly. My tech explained me this, when I asked about my King C soprano, I noticed he left this little gap after his work done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
@Pete Thomas:
Yes, absolutly. This is it.
I noticed that on, for exemple, a Yanagisawa, there is a hole on the key (or valve? English is not my native langage...) So, is it necessary to leave a little gap to be able to reach notes as high D, D#, E and F? I have problems to play these notes.

@electricfigue
And this gap is necessary to play easiy the higher notes? So, how much has it to be opened, and how do you manage to do so? Do you or your technician put some cork on the mechanism, at the back? And is it a 50, 70%?

Thank you all for your answers,
Éric

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK. Just try now to put a little piece of cork from my last bottle on the lever of my octave key, to stop it from closing totally the octave key: it works, after a few trials. All notes from high D to F are now easier to reach, thanks for your help,
Éric

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,288 Posts
On the modern sopranos with the donut (circular) key covered by a small pad, the larger key should close all the way from C#2 up and the small pad covering it should usually be totally open. This flattens eh C# and D mostly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts