Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had the opportunity recently while my horn was in the shop to borrow a loaner that had the old basic stock case - wood frame, solid padding, side-and-top handle case with a big enough (but not too big) space for everything needed and more, and made me realize how much of a luxury extra space in a case can be.

who, if anyone, is making this nowadays? not looking for a bam trekking or propac option... i have the bam stage series for my tenor and love it. just looking to see if the perfect back-seat-to-the-gig case still exists, or if i have to keep my eyes open for a vintage one... especially one with the click-lock latches :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,607 Posts
I just picked up a Hiscox liteflite artist case.
Not sure if this would fit the bill for what you’re after but it seems to have plenty of room for accessories and is still a reasonable size light weight case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
Apparently the traditional wood sax case is a thing of the past, having been replaced by plastic materials. You can usually find a Selmer 'Vanguard' case or two on ebay. I like the Pro Tec contoured cases with curved wood inner structure covered with padded nylon web on the outside and padded plush on the inside. They're more compact and lighter than the traditional wood case and offer excellent protection. The curved wood frame provides strength and light weight in the same way as the curved body of a string instrument, which I think is pretty neat. I've also used a hardshell plastic case (SKB) which was fine. I went back to the Pro Tec for two reasons; I didn't like how the hard plastic case would scoot around when trying to unpack or pack the sax, plus my MK VI was a little too loose in it. However, it did take a hard fall once and there was no damage to the case or horn.
As a working sax player I would never go back to the traditional case even if it were an option - too heavy and takes up too much room when you are loading in and out with 3 or 4 horns.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently the traditional wood sax case is a thing of the past, having been replaced by plastic materials. You can usually find a Selmer 'Vanguard' case or two on ebay. I like the Pro Tec contoured cases with curved wood inner structure covered with padded nylon web on the outside and padded plush on the inside. They're more compact and lighter than the traditional wood case and offer excellent protection. The curved wood frame provides strength and light weight in the same way as the curved body of a string instrument, which I think is pretty neat. I've also used a hardshell plastic case (SKB) which was fine. I went back to the Pro Tec for two reasons; I didn't like how the hard plastic case would scoot around when trying to unpack or pack the sax, plus my MK VI was a little too loose in it. However, it did take a hard fall once and there was no damage to the case or horn.
As a working sax player I would never go back to the traditional case even if it were an option - too heavy and takes up too much room when you are loading in and out with 3 or 4 horns.
great input. especially about the vanguard case! thank you. leaning away from the Skb concept - i totally agree with you in that. like the flat rectangular shape of the old schools... they stack and pack nicely in a three-body trunk. i'll keep my eye out for one!

regarding the propac, though... have you felt it has too much space? too little?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure if this would fit the bill for what you're after but it seems to have plenty of room for accessories and is still a reasonable size light weight case.
looked at a couple... if it was rectangular it would have been a different story... heard nothing but great reviews about them though!

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Not sure if this would fit the bill for what you're after but it seems to have plenty of room for accessories and is still a reasonable size light weight case.
Yep. I've got one for tenor and one for alto. Great cases ! I was in touch with Hiscox a couple of years ago, to ask if they had any plans to make a bari case. They told me they'd like to - eventually…

As for the old plywood cases - 1saxman is right, they're too damned heavy even though they do have plenty of room for accessories. Also, you have to be bloody careful packing your sax with bubble-wrap if you go on a flight with one, because the instrument rattles around like nobody's business inside an old wooden case. I've got several of them - I'm keeping them in case I ever want to sell the instruments that came in them. If you really want an old case, buy an old sax on eBay…

I've got a Protec case I use for the bari - it's great, with all the extra room you could want. The outside pocket will fit a clarinet (in two pieces, wrapped in a bath-towel) as well as all the usual accoutrements.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As for the old plywood cases - 1saxman is right, they're too damned heavy even though they do have plenty of room for accessories. Also, you have to be bloody careful packing your sax with bubble-wrap if you go on a flight with one, because the instrument rattles around like nobody's business inside an old wooden case. I've got several of them - I'm keeping them in case I ever want to sell the instruments that came in them. If you really want an old case, buy an old sax on eBay…

I've got a Protec case I use for the bari - it's great, with all the extra room you could want. The outside pocket will fit a clarinet (in two pieces, wrapped in a bath-towel) as well as all the usual accoutrements.
guess that really seems to be the direction of where i'd best find one. not any dealers or manufactures for sax builders have any blanks? wouldn't at all be a flying case. just for driving around town...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,148 Posts
Isn’t DEG still making traditional cases? I think they use the flip up hasps rather than the click type you mentioned. I can’t speak to the fit or anything else...

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Look for Chinese made, they make leather covered flute cases.
I saw some attractive wood cases covered in leather from China for $200 US. Very tempting, but I've gone to hard cases with straps, allows slinging for a single load in/load out trip.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I think that if you have your local music store order you a basic generic replacement case it will still be the rectangular wood shell case.

I have a tenor sax in a recent production rectangular SKB case which has a plastic shell but otherwise is just like an old style case, with lots of room inside. My alto also resides in a rectangular case, a Protec which I believe is a thin wood shell covered with fabric. Also lots of room for storage. Both of these modern cases are well shaped to the horn, unlike old ones where the horn was basically just rattling around in there.

So unless you really want the old school appearance, you absolutely can still buy rectangular cases for alto or tenor with plenty of storage inside.

I suspect no one's making traypac cases anymore; kind of a shame really if you double flute and clarinet.

·
Registered
368 Posts
had the opportunity recently while my horn was in the shop to borrow a loaner that had the old basic stock case - wood frame, solid padding, side-and-top handle case with a big enough (but not too big) space for everything needed and more, and made me realize how much of a luxury extra space in a case can be.

who, if anyone, is making this nowadays? not looking for a bam trekking or propac option... i have the bam stage series for my tenor and love it. just looking to see if the perfect back-seat-to-the-gig case still exists, or if i have to keep my eyes open for a vintage one... especially one with the click-lock latches :)
Unfortunately there's not many options out there for you. More's the pity, because the vintage cases have a real visual character that's missing in modern cases. I HATE all of the plastic and nylon. It just looks cheap to me, and is no substitute for the faux leather (or ACTUAL leather if your case is REAL high-end). The problem with the vintage cases is that most were made to be the smallest possibly case that would still fit the horn, so padding often leaves a LOT to be desired (otherwise I'd have just had my Buescher's case restored instead of picking up a ProTec. My other problem is my alto has the enlarged bell so very few modern cases even fit it, limiting my choices even further).

I'm actually having a wooden shell made at a local custom furniture maker. Going to have to do the covering and fit out the hardware myself, and have another shop do the interior, but it'll be worth it in the end.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,245 Posts
Isn't DEG still making traditional cases?
No one seems to have them in stock anymore. But yeah, they made decent, budget wood framed cases. I have one for my curved, fixed neck soprano (which I know they don't make anymore), and also one for my bari… which is very, very heavy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,148 Posts
Isn't DEG still making traditional cases?
No one seems to have them in stock anymore. But yeah, they made decent, budget wood framed cases. I have one for my curved, fixed neck soprano (which I know they don't make anymore), and also one for my bari… which is very, very heavy.
I've got one for my fixed neck straight soprano and I really like it. One of my favorite bari cases was the one sold with King Zephyrs. Not as protective as today's cases (by a long shot) but compact with nice styling. It was so easy to drag around.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A tuba-playing buddy has made his own wooden cases for large brass instruments. Somehow, he was able to make them fitted to the horn (not rectangular) with bent wood, etc. Kind of amazing workmanship - also necessary as a rectangular tuba case just isn't going to be pretty, light or practical!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
My Cannonball alto came in a pseudo alligator finish wood case. It has to slots for the necks that come with it as well as mouthpiece slot and a large compartment for accessories. It's a shame it's so cumbersome and heavy. I ordered a gig bag shortly after I bought it....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts