Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,762 Posts
Funny, after the discussion about the evolution of fake Mark VI's the other day I started pulling patent docs on Selmers. I was actually looking for the modern Mark VI layout that you see with the four rods all lined up on one side. I didn't find that one but I found one from 1935 that described how they moved the rods more to the middle of the horn so they wouldn't get tangled up in the player's clothing. What I found most interesting about it was the discussion on how they used different strength springs to balance the amount of pressure a player had to apply to close the pad on the toneholes. Then the light came on and I realized they were talking about balancing the action of the keys, hence the Balanced Action Selmer saxophone. Apparently before that invention the keys would require a different amount of finger pressure depending on the length of the rods and size of the pads etc. Selmer came up with the idea of balancing the amount of pressure required so each key would require the same or nearly the same amount of pressure. Pretty cool idea.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts