Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I've been reading lots of threads here in SOTW lately, and first of all i would like to say thank you to everybody for lots of useful (and free!:)) information!

Around May this year i tried a woodwind instrument for the first time, a Bb clarinet that belongs to a friend. I was able to extract sound from it almost at the first shot, and got interested. The saxophone desire came right after! :)

Today i got my first sax, it's a E. M. Winston Boston Pro-2000 alto, was barely used though it was bought around 2001. Lended by a friend, i'm trying it and i'm pretty sure i'll buy it. I still have to take to the shop just to check the overall playing condition but it seems pretty much alright anyway.

The mouthpiece that my friend had on the sax is a Meyer Rubber 5M, medium chamber, and i'm getting along with it, no major problems, not thinking about getting a different one. Cool! :)

My friend gave the sax to me with two reeds, as far as i can tell, very very old ones (maybe bought with the sax, i guess...:D). One a Vandoren 2 1/2, the other a Rico V2.

Never planning on using them, i bought a new Vandoren 2 1/2, and spent the day blowing! Hapiness! :). Still having some problems reaching the low register (anything below D..i can sound them, but they sound horrible! :)) and the expected pitch control difficulties and everything else, but hey, first day! :)

So after all this, the reed question (sorry if i took your time, but it's my first post!).

A few hours back, i tried the Rico just for fun. And, well, it felt much easier to control!
The thing is, the only thing printed on the Rico is exactly: "RICO V2".
The V2 stands for the thickness of the reed? Because i want to try and identify what exactly made that reed feel more comfortable, and controlable.
The brand? Thickness? Being very old? :D

Thanks in advance, any help/suggestion are very welcome!

Saxual greetings,

Winston Pro

P.S. - Any information on the sax would be welcome too! Can't find it anywhere!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
These are the old rico reeds that came in a brown box, they were fantastic reeds. The newer rico reeds are very different, people really start bidding when they see these going unopmed on ebay, they were replaced in the early 1990's with the new style blue or orange box's I think but someone might correct me on that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, dzve!
Man, a shame that they were replaced, i really lked it, and sadly i can't use mine anymore, a frien ruined it by accident...

Anyway, i'm getting along with the vandoren 2,5 for now, but i want to experiment with others, by the end of this month when i'll be able to afford some...

Any suggestions on brands that would be similar to the rico v-2? What i really liked about it was the ease of playing, i could play for longer without feeling my lips getting numb... On the other hand, i still need to experiment with stronger and softer reeds to check if 2,5 is really my thing.

I'll be posting about it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts