Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my Ray Hyman (alto/tenor) neck strap that I used for decades and did not realize how perfect it was until I tried what is out there, including a new Hyman strap. As a teacher, I have noticed the majority of straps are highly annoying for various reasons. I have searched ebay and internet outlets with no luck. I noticed a poster in 2010 with the same issue who was able to find one. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,739 Posts
I lost my Ray Hyman (alto/tenor) neck strap that I used for decades and did not realize how perfect it was until I tried what is out there, including a new Hyman strap. As a teacher, I have noticed the majority of straps are highly annoying for various reasons. I have searched ebay and internet outlets with no luck. I noticed a poster in 2010 with the same issue who was able to find one. Any help would be appreciated.
You might want to post a "wanted" listing in the marketplace with the details of what you are looking for. If I recall correctly, the issue is that the modern ones have plastic rather than metal hardware?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
RB Jazz,

First of all, hello from a fellow Utican, now living up on the St. Lawrence River.

Second, I can't tell you where to buy a strap like what you are looking for, but I thought that I would chime in that I am using the same 2 Ray Hymans that I have had ever since the late 70's. I have a white one in my Alto case and a black one in my Tenor case. If I play both horns on a particular gig I wear them both and switch rather than to readjust the strap. I have always been happy with them.

I did switch briefly to a different kind on Tenor (don't even remeber the brand name now) but didn't use it for long.

Good luck with your search.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
I LOVE those as well. I will look to see if I have an extra.

The new ones changed to some new coarser strapping that is not as nice to move.

Charlie

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
I still have the one I bought in the mid 80's, the leather part became so hard due to perspiration over the years that I had to cut it off.
I don't see what's so special about them, I much prefer the Oleg and the BG Yoke that I have now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Looks pretty ordinary to my untrained eye, but it's appearance & title sounds rather like an item of equipment from a Victorian Maternity Home.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Try the Rico straps, they are as close as you will get.

For those in the know, the old Hyman straps are the best - well made, strong, light and they work. Unlike almost every strap you can buy today. The Ricos are pretty good, I use them on everything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is different to your old one? Did you notice that there are 2 versions? Narrow and wide?
I had the old narrow one which seemed to be enough support and the metal rectangular piece was easy to grab w/the right amount of tension. I've tried the new version (there is only one version and it's wide, not narrow) and do not care for it. The pictures make it appear as if it's a thin strap but it's just the camera angle.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I had the same problem. My Ray Hyman strap was from the mid to late 70s and it broke a little over a year ago. I went with the Rico and it' ok...much better than the neoprene ones and pretty much everything else I could find. I haven't seen a "new" Ray Hyman anywhere, but the old ones were terrific.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
To many the original Ray Hyman IS the perfect strap, metal keeper and metal hook. Back in the early 70's I bought two black and two white because in the future, like most everything, I knew they were going to screw around and f%*k'em up somehow!
Sure enough they went plastic and a bit crummier and wider nylon.

Whenever I get a chance while traveling I'll go into all the mom & pop music stores and rummage through their junk box, looking for those treasures!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just registered. I don't care much for my new Ray Hyman strap because adjustment is much more difficult than with the old ones. I've been using them since 1969, and up until a couple of years ago, they were fine. I actually consider the plastic hook an improvement in that I had a metal hook break on me while playing. I was playing with a band on a concrete floor, blowing a solo, and the metal hook broke. The horn went flying, it seemed like slow motion. I caught it on the bounce, and the only damage was that the bottom of the horn was somewhat flattened and had to be pushed out with the appropriate tool. I've never had the plastic hook break on me. The thing is, the old straps adjusted easily and stayed put. You just had to put tension on the strap with the horn, and the metal keeper would slide up or down quite easily. It was great because you might have on a t-shirt one night, a sport jacket the next. The new ones are almost impossible to adjust like that. I wonder if they can be tweaked somehow to work like the old ones?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I found a Ray Hayman neck strap in one of the horns I bought off Ebay. I guess it's not the really old kind 'cause it's got a plastic hook. I prefer this strap over my others, (Neotech). I formerly would take three straps to a gig: one for clar, one for alto s and one for ts. This Hayman strap works fine for all. The plastic hook will snap into place on my CMel and ts. I guess the ring is a bit wider. The strap is easy to adjust and feels comfortable on my neck with each horn.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
FWIW, it seems that there are 4 options to select from: standard alto/tenor, standard baritone (longer), "Super Sling" (wide), and "Super Sling" baritone (wide/long). The standard alto/tenor (3rd photo in the link) is most like the venerable vintage narrow model with metal slider and metal hook, though the latter two have been replaced with nylon. If you must have the older version, they come up on eBay from time to time.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I LOVE those as well. I will look to see if I have an extra.

The new ones changed to some new coarser strapping that is not as nice to move.

Charlie
What he said. It is nowhere as smooth to adjust, but I have a new one as a backup for my old one. I only ever broke one once, the "top" of the slider cracked and after that, it would not hold adjustment. It made me sad.

·
Registered
130 Posts
So as someone who has never owned any Ray Hyman strap or the Rico strap, isn't it a problem that the hook doesn't have a keeper? I would be paranoid about dropping the horn.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts