Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old R&C silver alto manufactured in 1920s (info from R&C themselves), what value might the saxophone have? The finish is very worn and it has a crack where the neck screw is attached, but it is still very playable.
IMG_20210207_120859.jpg
IMG_20210207_120931.jpg
IMG_20210207_120944.jpg
IMG_20210207_121013.jpg
IMG_20210207_121028.jpg
IMG_20210207_121042.jpg
IMG_20210207_121127.jpg

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,512 Posts
Cool horn, fully keyed with Front F, trill G# and Fork Eb.

1920's ? Must be quite late '20's, however...because same-side bellkey horns are more commonly a sign of the 1930's and later...

Also, the bell reads "A. Rampone"...which would signify Alfonse Rampone....a cousin who actually had his own atelier separate from Rampne-Cazzani, I believe. If you want to confirm that, perhaps contact R&C again (I assume you communicated with Claudfi Zolla ?) and inquire as to whether A.Rampone and R&C ever were the same factory (?)

But, as I interpret it, it would not be proper to call this horn a "Rampone & Cazzani"...as it is "an early A. Rampone".

Perhaps @milandro would like to chime in ? As this sort of horn is more in his wheelhouse.....

I do not believe market value is gonna be very high, the horn is a bit too obscure to have great value. Perhaps a Rampone/R&C collector would want such a specimen, but I would not call this horn 'rare' in the valuation sense.
The neck receiver crack is a bummer...it can be repaired rather utilitarian-ly simply by soldering a lozenge-shaped patch over the crack...which solves any functional issues for the player but unfortunately also tanks its resale vale.
Other option is to replace the receiver altogether.

It IS a cool horn.Fnish is not abd at all and I am gonna speculate that the golden/brassy hues around the engraving were actually intentional (a?) and not the result of wear.

I would say worth perhaps $300usd if it plays but some notes do not speak well. If it plays up and down, all notes speak cleanly, perhaps someone would spring $400-500 for it. Just my semi-educated guess....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your respond @JayeLID , I have got further answer from the RC-team:

"Both companies were stamping A.RAMPONE

If you find MILAN as well it is a RC like yours

IF YOU CAN READ QUARNA NOVARA IT IS AN ALFONSO RAMPONE.

Best

Rc"

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,460 Posts
Yes, these early horns are stamped A.Rampone but there is also the stamp Ditte riunite A. Rampone & G. Cazzani, which makes them a Rampone & Cazzani.

The A in this is AGOSTINO Rampone ( not ALFONSO, a Different person), the Other guy was Giovanbattista Cazzani

Read here ( Look for AGOSTINO)

@Saxing , your stamp is at the front and is slightly different but reads like this

·
40,460 Posts
About value, frankly speaking don’t expect too much.

There are some good points, it is in very good state and the engraving is very nice (with the so typical “ sgraffito” , which R&C, still uses nowadays, engraving combined to some undulating engraving ).

But even a very determined collector wouldn’t pay more than €500 and probably it would be less.

The damage on the slit by the tenon is nasty but probably can be fixed and won’t leak

The pads are not helping the sale, they don’t look like they are quality pads and are certainly nothing like the original pads ( which for a collector would be important)
This is not a player’s horn but more a collector’s horn, just how big is the group of 100 years old R&C Saxophones collectors?

·
40,460 Posts
Thanks for all this information :) @milandro
My Pleasure!

I like this sax, it is not the “ solista” which is the best sax of this era made by R&C, but still very nice. This is the Solista

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,512 Posts
Thanks @milandro, I didn't realize there were names in 2 places, I only saw the A. Rampone (interesting that Cazzani only appears in the oval stamp).

Given it clearly reads 'Cazzani', I would up my value estimate I previously noted by around $100-150.

·
40,460 Posts
these old Rampone & Cazzani have always an engraved Ditte Riunite ( united companies) A. Rampone B. Cazzazi

It is part of their heritage when these two companies merged ( early on) then B. Cazzani had died and went on to be produced under the Agostino Rampone ( A. Rampone)

the company went on to produce one of the most lavishly ornate saxophone in the history of this instrument ( it was a Solista on steroids)

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,010 Posts
Ye Gods! Looks like a spitoon!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts