Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

First of all let me say a few workd about myself as I just joined the forum a few moments ago. I am in my 40s, live in the US and have been playing clarinet since childhood but never played a sax until very recently, when I decided to try to learn to play the saxophone as a new hobby. I am looking into purchasing an alto sax to learn on, and this older Oscar Adler sax piqued my interest.

View attachment 249302

View attachment 249304

View attachment 249306

View attachment 249308

View attachment 249310

View attachment 249312

View attachment 249314

View attachment 249316

I would like to ask for opinions on this sax in general, and especially for a first sax to learn on.

Also I am very intrigued by the cross shaped part near the neck of the saxophone- what is it and what is its function?

Lastly, how much would this sax be worth paying for? The seller is asking for about $450.

Thanks a lot in advance!!

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
That is a rather primitive looking instrument lacking some very common features. I would strongly urge against it.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
That is a rather primitive looking instrument lacking some very common features. I would strongly urge against it.
I would agree with Kritavi 100 percent. If you are just starting out, purchase a quality used modern horn. Right now it's all about developing tone and technique and you'll want a good horn to learn on. You should also find a good saxophone teacher that can help you transition from clarinet to sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
7,631 Posts
Me too, it's missing at least one, perhaps more than one key(s) that are on most saxes built since the 1920s.

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
For starters it seems to be missing
High F
Front high F
Low Bb
Side F#
Bis Key and probably more.

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
JayeLID will probably comment on this thread anyways but he is a good example of the kind of person you want to deal with.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It's shiny, but it's an antique. I'd pay $50 for it, maybe $80, but no more.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,877 Posts
it is the perfect wall hanger but aside having a short range, it may be high pitch too.

Not worth anything unless it was your grandfather’s horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,992 Posts
JayeLID will probably comment on this thread anyways but he is a good example of the kind of person you want to deal with.
Thanks for the kind words.

OK so, it has been determined that this sax is completely anachronistic.

People often stumble upon these sorta things when they have a very limited budget to buy a horn, without realizing that...in the current market, you can actually pick up a used Alto, serviced and playing, of some repute....for as low as around $300. Not that there are many, but there are some. Somewhat unintentionally, my biz has become a source of used, serviced saxes on the lower end of the price scale (not sure is I should cheer or cry about this :|), although there are of course many sources out there....

thousandwords, if your budget is actually closer to $400-450, you actually have some flexibility in what you can choose from...ranging from a good ol' second shelf vintage model such as a King Cleve, Conn Director, Buescher 20A, or Vito-Kenosha.....to something contemporary like a Yamaha-made Vito or a Jupiter. You can contact me via my website below - my current stock is almost cleaned out due to Holidays - but I have storage rooms full of saxes which I can work up with around 2 weeks time.

But as noted, this Adler (and Adler made good horns, this one is just way too old) is appropriate as a conversation piece only.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts