Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this on Ebay, seller claimed it hasnt been played since the '30's, and was an attic find. Opening the case I believe him! Has a bunch of letters and sheet music from 1931 in the case. I wasnt expecting much from the pics, especially when it arrived. Had to use a tenor reed on the mouthpiece it came with, and WOW! It sounds nice! Original looking pads (no resonators or anything?) some are kind of funky looking. Bad leaks below D so no C's or anything, but tech can fix that. Stencil says "Cavalier" and has a guy riding a horse with a sword. Serial number puts it at 1923-1924. All in all, I am VERY happy with this, especially for $90!! I probably sound too excited over an old junker like this, but damned if I dont love this horn :) Here it is with its big brother, a Kessler Custom Tenor:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,025 Posts
That's an old one for sure. Is it high or low pitch?

Lack of a bis key might be a problem for future playing. Looks like it saw plenty of use before getting put away.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Low pitch. Yeah it saw lots of use, but it wasnt abused. It has no scratches or dents on the entire body, but the finish is worn off wherever hands would be when holding it. The key guard on the back wasnt on when I got it, its in the case, so yes its technically complete.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Polished up pretty nice!
This is the first sax ive ever taken apart, took about 1 1/2 hours to take apart, about half an hour to put back together, for a first timer is that bad? Took out all the old pads (held in with old shellac, it had crustified or something so the pads just kind of fell out when i pulled on them...) I only have trouble with 2 things: One of the long screw rod things is seized in, and anothe rone has its slot for the screwdriver broken, so it cant come out. Anything I can do about that? Also, the neck isnt attached to its... uh... bottom? It just kid of pops out of the thing it sit in in the actual socket, ive seen people call this a tenon? I imagine a tech can fix it pretty easily.

·
3,240 Posts
Nice old horn and those parts can be repaired. The neck tenon should be lead soldered so a nice easy job and the stuck rods should be gently heated then drip oil onto the joints and it will suck it in as it cools, if not then just de-solder the post and un screw it
Dave

·
2,487 Posts
i have an old alto like that, but it has a bis key and front F, i should really repair it myself, i just haven't been able to buy the pads, it has snap in pads, but originally they had a screw to screw them in ?!/ most of those were gone but that means i need to get special pads,

if anyone knows what i need please let me know!

is that missing the eflat key guard?

·
2,960 Posts
i too also have one this old w/bis .mine is a selmer newyork stencil and a monster horn! who would ever believe it till they played it

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I did a bunch of research on this and now im wondering if its even worth getting a tech to look at. The right hand pinky keys are weird, they are not like on any Conn Saxophone, but they are the same as on a Pan American. I thought post 1920 Pan Ams were Conn Stencils, and this feature has more in common with a Pan Am than a New Wonder, why would they bother stenciling a stencil? Also, only 3 upper stack keys!? Im wondering if I should just let this be a wall hanger...

·
1,386 Posts
Cerot said:
they are not like on any Conn Saxophone, but they are the same as on a Pan American. I thought post 1920 Pan Ams were Conn Stencils, and this feature has more in common with a Pan Am than a New Wonder, why would they bother stenciling a stencil?
Not really a stencil of of stencil, rather that both the Pan Am and your Cavalier are possibly based on the same Conn sax, so could be very similar indeed.

Cerot said:
Im wondering if I should just let this be a wall hanger...
Hang on a second there, what happened to:
Cerot said:
All in all, I am VERY happy with this, especially for $90!! I probably sound too excited over an old junker like this, but damned if I dont love this horn :)
:?:

If you love the sound of it, what does it matter if it's not the lost classic you first thought? True it may not make economic sense to take it to a tech, but you got it cheaply enough, so you could even risk doing the work yourself without losing a lot.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was really excited when I got it, but now the amount of money id have to sink into it vs its possible resale value is starting to weigh in. I dont think I have the patience to do the work on my own, and the only local tech quoted me 5-600 to repad it and regulate it.
I dont mean to imply that im unhappy with the purchase, for $90 you cant be, I didnt buy it expecting it to play (or play again...). Im just worried that ill sink a bunch of money into it, then a few years down the road look back and regret it. For the price I was quoted to fix it, I could buy a new Antiqua Alto that works out of the box.

·
1,386 Posts
Hmmm, yeah, I see what you mean. Still, you'd probably easily get your money back if you sold now. Hey, if I weren't on the other side of the pond I would have given you $90 for it!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At least its pretty!
And who knows, I MIGHT fix it. Ive got all the pads for it, a Musicmedic Repair Kit, and some Votaw Hot Glue... still the regulating always frustrates me more than its worth. Maybe I should glue the pads in, take it to the tech, and say "Do what you can for $300".

PS: And besides, it completes the family:

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey Cerot

I actually have two of these. One is a Cavelier like yours, the other is marked Hager Musical Instrument Company. The Cav is in a case marked FUSD Elem. One of those kids must have dropped it at one time. The neck is bent and dented and the tenon loose. :(

The Hager is in great condition. With a conn eagle MP is sounds great, a really strong voice.

My reserch indicates these stencils are based on the Conn Wonder model, not the NEW Wonder, (chu) That model was produced in the early 20's and replaced by the New Wonder late in the decade. But the stencils continued to be made into the thirties. But don't quote me ao that, my memory is geting hazy and the info is probably second or third hand to start with.

Anyway, if you do decide to get it fixed cheap enough, or can do it yourself you'll have a very nice sounding horn.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts