Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a Martin alto #171??? and is missing neck and mouth piece. Other wise in ok condition. Is this one worth the effort to restore?

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
From the serial number, assuming it is indeed six digits, could be a "The Martin Alto" saxophone...these can be incredible horns. Good luck finding the neck...if you can get it for a good price, I say go for it.

Saxaholic

·
Registered
198 Posts
The price is Right...?

And what would be a 'good' price for anyone of us reading this? There are a many repair shops one can contact, but I rearly see Martin necks popping up on ebay and I was looking for one for awhile. I'm sure these Martins can be killers, but it may be more realistic to find a whole horn with matching numbers - and a lot less frustration waiting for a neck in a haystack.

MM

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Add over $500 to get a gloger neck, and probably an overhaul! I'd only pay like $100..it'd be a pain in the butt!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Aren't the gloger necks made pretty close to the one that originally came with your horn too, or am I mistaken? If so, that'd be your best bet at finding a neck.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Sorry what I ment to say, was look at what wont break the bank. I looked and Phil's necks cost less then $500. Again it is whatever you can afford.

~Carbs

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke.
2,968 Posts
There are big differences with necks on different model saxes. The gloger neck will be a copy of a The Martin alto neck and to get the Martin saxes to play in tune, you need to use a neck of this type. You cant just swap neck for neck on any sax, there are bore differences, tenon sizings and various other factors to take into account!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts