Sax on the Web Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
I think it is a mistake to assume you understand someones tone from a compressed video clip on the web. Go see these guys in person. That is the only way to really evaluate their tone or any other aspect of their playing.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,774 Posts
I think it is a mistake to assume you understand someones tone from a compressed video clip on the web. Go see these guys in person. That is the only way to really evaluate their tone or any other aspect of their playing.
This should be put up in bold print above every you tube clip out there! So, so true. Yes, leaving the 'old guys' reference aside for a moment, there's your answer simon. Of course with the clips of players who are gone now, you'll have to go out and get a good recording and play it on a good sound system, and even then you'll only get an idea of what they actually sounded like live. But it will be much closer than any you tube clip!

Going back to the old guys, simon, the whole problem with your OP was trying to somehow tie in older players (even ONE older player) with a bright sound. There just is no direct correlation between age (young or old) and saxophone tone. There is a correlation between a beginning player (usually pretty poor tone) and an advanced player (usually a 'better' tone), but age has nothing to do with it. That's why some of us are jumping all over you. No big deal. I also type too much stuff without thinking about it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,080 Posts
It may be an issue of the old guys wearing out their Selmers and switching to Yamahas...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,202 Posts
Nope, never noticed that. To whom are you referring? Marcus Strickland? Bob Reynolds? Troy Roberts? Will Vinson? Jaleel Shaw? Julius Tolentino? Donny McCaslin? Seamus Blake? Josh Redman? Cuz I never noticed what you mentioned with them...
take it easy man, I was making a glittering generality just like the op, although I should have made it more clear. Old guys have a shrill sound, jeez -give me a break - what a stupid thread this is. Like sounding shrill is somehow age related or having a lot of technique and nowhere to go is age related.

The old thing is particularly annoying because everyone seems to be focused on young players that are great. Oh he so young and so great. Who cares? Does he have anything to say? Sometimes not. Who cares how old someone is, it's really ********, I just listen to what they are doing.

·
5,092 Posts
take it easy man, I was making a glittering generality just like the op, although I should have made it more clear. Old guys have a shrill sound, jeez -give me a break - what a stupid thread this is. Like sounding shrill is somehow age related or having a lot of technique and nowhere to go is age related.

The old thing is particularly annoying because everyone seems to be focused on young players that are great. Oh he so young and so great. Who cares? Does he have anything to say? Sometimes not. Who cares how old someone is, it's really ********, I just listen to what they are doing.
I'm not mad at you! Just illustrating the same point you just made.

·
23,774 Posts
Oh please. Stan Getz was a fine player with a lovely sound, but Warne Marsh was on an entirely other level.
Maybe this is getting derailed now (wouldn't be the end of the world if it did), but if you want to make such a comparison, Stan Getz was on about as high a level as a sax player can get. Not sure about Warne Marsh. He was certainly a great technician on the horn. But Getz was an artist of the highest standard.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Maybe this is getting derailed now (wouldn't be the end of the world if it did), but if you want to make such a comparison, Stan Getz was on about as high a level as a sax player can get. Not sure about Warne Marsh. He was certainly a great technician on the horn. But Getz was an artist of the highest standard.
Just very very chirpy.

·
Registered
516 Posts
JL said:
Not sure about Warne Marsh. He was certainly a great technician on the horn. But Getz was an artist of the highest standard.
Amen. I love Getz. I like Marsh as well but it seems kind of odd to say he was on an entirely other level.

Maddenma said:
Just very very chirpy.
You just can't mention Stan Getz without some goof saying he chirps too much :bluewink: Everyone has their chirps, and Mr. Getz seemed to rack up more and more with time (there's those old guys again :evil:) Biggest squawk ever goes to Coltrane on "Diane" from steamin'. Poor guy.

·
8,588 Posts

·
8,588 Posts
What avatar?

·
23,774 Posts
I would put Warne above Getz, but at that level, it's kind of a personal preference thing.
Very true. On a personal preference level, neither of these guys are my favorite. I prefer more robust, bluesy tenor players like Gene Ammons, Dexter Gordon, Jimmy Forest, etc. Just a preference, not saying they are 'better.'

·
2,870 Posts
Oh please. Stan Getz was a fine player with a lovely sound, but Warne Marsh was on an entirely other level.
A level which nobody can understand because he sounds like he is drowning. ;) But seriously I can't listen to Warne Marsh his sound bothers me too much.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,941 Posts
Exactly. Youtube means nothing. And Warne Marsh rules.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Times change, styles change, people even change; but, Lee Konitz sounded like Lee Konitz when he was a young guy. Phil Woods at thirty sounded like Phil Woods at 60... don't know when he got the false teeth, but apparently felt it necessary to switch to Yamaha from his Mk VI to be able to continue playing later on... but hey, he still sounds like Phil Woods. Phil Woods played through the same years and ages as Lee Konitz but neither one sounds like the other... this old/new guy thing is drawing a lot of invalid conclusions, IMHO. I think most guys play the way they do because in their own mind they're doing the best they can.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts