Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
44 yrs of happy sax, I don't feel like an "old guy". Mostly dark and when needed, growl and punch. I would say quite the opposite. Younger crowd seems to go in for the high baffle mic until ears bleed altissimo solo from "practiced licks" kind of playing. Started out on Motown/R &B. Learned blues inside out and then progressed to straight ahead and bop. Thru it all, I still have the same sound even after doing the silly mpc search thing. Long tones and other practice routines have kept me going as well as live jobs.

K
44 yrs of happy sax

·
Registered
516 Posts
It's not really fair (and it's certainly not well-received) to make generalizations based on age among adults. As many have stated, there are lots of players, young and old, that play bright and shrill. There are definitely many examples of tone declining with age, but this is probably more a result of natural physical decline or hearing loss.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I was wondering how Konitz could go from this:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15m6u_lee-konitz-geneva-s-move_music

To this:

And now everyone's comparing the old to the young like anyone cares if it matters. I thought this country hit rock-bottom when Bush was elected...

It's not really fair (and it's certainly not well-received) to make generalizations based on age among adults.
Didn't I say before that I wasn't making any sort of generalization?

·
Registered
516 Posts
simon196 said:
Didn't I say before that I wasn't making any sort of generalization?
Yes, but you DID make a generalization, or at least that's how everyone seems to be interpreting your original post. Now you are reaping the benefits of the touchy topic. You get bonus points for politely wording the first post but still getting jumped on... I have to agree with you on Lee Konitz, I prefer his sound on the earlier recordings.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
If you didn't intend to make a generalization, you probably could have worded both your post and the topic heading better. As someone who gets schooled on a regular basis by players who range in age from 60-80, I can attest to the fact that good tone is -not- exclusive to the young. If these are your observations, please... listen more.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
And now everyone's comparing the old to the young like anyone cares if it matters. I thought this country hit rock-bottom when Bush was elected...
There are so many things wrong with those two sentences. For example:

1. You did yourself bring up the issue of age, presumably because you think it matters.
2. You are not addressing "this country", you are on the internet. That ww thing stands for "worldwide".
3. Far-fetched political analogies tend to sound a bit desperate.

When you're wrong it's usually best to just say so rather than trying to pretend you said something else.

That is all just opinion. Please feel free to ignore me. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
Nope, never noticed that. To whom are you referring? Marcus Strickland? Bob Reynolds? Troy Roberts? Will Vinson? Jaleel Shaw? Julius Tolentino? Donny McCaslin? Seamus Blake? Josh Redman? Cuz I never noticed what you mentioned with them...
Joshua redman is 40 years old not exactly what you call a young guy.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I never said good tone is exclusive only to the young. I made three examples of players who I considered to have a shrill tone. Only three. And I don't see why age is such a touchy topic.

1. You did yourself bring up the issue of age, presumably because you think it matters.
But I did not say that "younger" people or "older" people are better than the other, did I? It's fine to assume that I think it matters, but it doesn't matter to me. But I still have the ability to observe, don't I?

When you're wrong...
I wish I were.

I have to agree with you on Lee Konitz, I prefer his sound on the earlier recordings.
Finally, someone who knows what I'm trying to get at. :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Really? That was your point? That you prefer Lee Konitz on his earlier recordings? :faceinpalm:

I thought it had something to do with Old guys? :scratch:
It's common knowledge that I suck at making thread titles. I could have used just Konitz as an example but that hadn't occured to me until...

Whatever. :bluewink:

·
2,874 Posts
Hey simon, I get where you are coming from and have been there, with the "Oops... maybe I should have worded that differently" threads. I think I was being a bit sarcastic in my last post. I guess that the whole "Old Guys" thing is enough to derail a legit question. Maybe old guys wouldn't mind being referred to as "Mature saxmen" or something.

·
5,092 Posts
Joshua redman is 40 years old not exactly what you call a young guy.
I thought it was young. And seeing as how his tone hasn't changed since 15 years ago... or is 25 not young either? Damn, there goes my whole argument. Never mind. I agree. All young players play with shrill, bright, thin, lifeless tones. I will now stop playing until someone (other than an elementary school student) calls me old, at which point my tone will be suitably dark.

·
5,092 Posts
Hey simon, I get where you are coming from and have been there, with the "Oops... maybe I should have worded that differently" threads. I think I was being a bit sarcastic in my last post. I guess that the whole "Old Guys" thing is enough to derail a legit question. Maybe old guys wouldn't mind being referred to as "Mature saxmen" or something.
Or "old fartknockers."

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Yeah, probably.

Two things occur to me:

• One of the finest saxophone players ever is able to demonstrate a varied and wide pallette of tone colours
  • Sound recordings can often filter out or boost certain frequencies
But Dolphy still managed to sound like a....... yeah. But still, good point there.

·
2,874 Posts
I remember in a 2005-06 Pete Fountain interview he was asked how he maintained that mellow, clear tone throughout the register throughout the years and his response was, "I have a great sound guy". I'd love one of those. I'm waiting for a big sale on them at WWBW. :bluewink:

·
2,870 Posts
I thought it was young. And seeing as how his tone hasn't changed since 15 years ago... or is 25 not young either? Damn, there goes my whole argument. Never mind. I agree. All young players play with shrill, bright, thin, lifeless tones. I will now stop playing until someone (other than an elementary school student) calls me old, at which point my tone will be suitably dark.
hehe

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
DP,
As someone who has reached "farthood" (like Arthur Carlsen on WKRP) and who went many years without practice, YOU DON'T WANT TO GO THERE! I'M LIVING PROOF!

(BTW, I know that you already know that!) :)

41 - 60 of 85 Posts