Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,772 Posts
Well you could listen to my soundfiles and work it out from the brightness of my tone :)
Well, let's see, your tone is nice and rich, not too bright, but it gets brighter on alto than on tenor (what a surprise). I guess your sound isn't bright enough to put you over 60, but since it brightens up a bit on some of the higher notes, then you must be past 30. I'm I in the ballpark?

Man, stick around here long enough and you'll hear everything (does that make me one of the old guys?). Correlating a bright tone with age. Can it get any more absurd than that?!

I do agree with Thomas, though, a lot of young players have a thin, weak, shrill tone. Maybe that has something to do with age....

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,105 Posts
but since it brightens up a bit on some of the higher notes, then you must be past 30. I'm I in the ballpark?
So I need to use a Rovner which should dull the sound down a bit, and I become younger.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Interesting....as an "old guy" I think the same thing about most of you "young" guys, thin, weak, shrill, lack of any unique tonal qualities, working way too hard but rarely convincing me there's any real commitment to a flexibility of tone. The real goal is to not be identifiable, slotted as a one trick pony. A complete player should be able to purposely be bright, dark and everywhere in between as the situation demands. Don't worry you young guys...with time some of you will figure that out-and how
to do it.
Nailed it.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
At what age does one become old?
When you're over the hill, obviously.

Other tell-tale signs: 1. You start driving very slowly. 2. You refer to "youngsters". 3. You start worrying a lot about death. I would say that if all those three apply you are almost definitely old.

Saxophonic ones would include: 1. Frowning a lot when you are playing. 2. Wearing reading glasses all the time on gigs even if you're not reading anything and having them attached to your neck with a chain. 3. Sounding unnecessarily bright and annoying the youngsters.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
I'll add another, from personal experience: you may possibly be old when the first thing that occurs to you when you walk into a rehearsal room is "this place could do with a good vacuuming."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,874 Posts
I'm not trying to be rude or anything

I thinks that is quite funny considering the title of your thread. A little passive aggressiveness there?

I don't find anything too bright about Konitz at all. He is one of the darkest alto guys around. I have no idea what you are referring to. I find that most young players are the brightest, loudest and shrill sounding in the house.

BTW, one becomes old when younger people decide you are old.

·
3,202 Posts
you are old when you think about dying your hair or are dying your hair or beard.:bluewink:

Ever notice how young guys play a lot of notes that don't really say anything and are completely irrelevant? Young guys.... jeez. Put down the small screen for a minute.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I thinks that is quite funny considering the title of your thread. A little passive aggressiveness there?

I don't find anything too bright about Konitz at all. He is one of the darkest alto guys around. I have no idea what you are referring to. I find that most young players are the brightest, loudest and shrill sounding in the house.

BTW, one becomes old when younger people decide you are old.
Jeez, I make an observation and everyone blows up like I've declared war on you guys or something. I've got no problem with people who are older than me. And I know that most players my age think they're hip because they go to Michael Brecker's high school or that they've gone to workshops with Phil Woods or who knows what other bullcrap. Geez, I didn't even make a statement in my original post.

"Passive-aggressive", communist, terrorist, racist, misogynist... I don't which word is thrown around more.

·
5,092 Posts
you are old when you think about dying your hair or are dying your hair or beard.:bluewink:

Ever notice how young guys play a lot of notes that don't really say anything and are completely irrelevant? Young guys.... jeez. Put down the small screen for a minute.
Nope, never noticed that. To whom are you referring? Marcus Strickland? Bob Reynolds? Troy Roberts? Will Vinson? Jaleel Shaw? Julius Tolentino? Donny McCaslin? Seamus Blake? Josh Redman? Cuz I never noticed what you mentioned with them...

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
^+10 Fats Navarro, Clifford Brown, Jimi Hendrix and Charlie Christian died in their 20's. They sure had a hell of a lot of things to say and they said it.

And Hendrix is still relevant today.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Simon, lighten up a little. I think that most of these comments are in fun. BUT, I will say, that I got a Sakshama Custom Z about a month ago and it is really bright.......and I'm kind of diggin' it! :)

21 - 40 of 85 Posts