Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
Neither of those sound bright to me. Lee sounds a bit tinny for Lee, but Donald is pretty much as dark as night for someone most know as a pop guy. I don't think Lee subbed Chris in that video, either. Warne and Lee had a tradition of simultaneous improvisation that I think Christian worked in there. That's also a N.O. jazz staple, too, which fits cuz Christian is from N.O.

And Thomas is always stoned. LOL I remember walking up a major Avenue in Boston with him while he smoked a J right there in the middle of the afternoon. BPD drove past in a cruiser and he just palmed it and kept smoking!

·
5,092 Posts
Interesting....as an "old guy" I think the same thing about most of you "young" guys, thin, weak, shrill, lack of any unique tonal qualities, working way too hard but rarely convincing me there's any real commitment to a flexibility of tone. The real goal is to not be identifiable, slotted as a one trick pony. A complete player should be able to purposely be bright, dark and everywhere in between as the situation demands. Don't worry you young guys...with time some of you will figure that out-and how to do it.
Yeah, but we're still younger... we'll have the last laugh!!!!! LOL

·
5,092 Posts
you are old when you think about dying your hair or are dying your hair or beard.:bluewink:

Ever notice how young guys play a lot of notes that don't really say anything and are completely irrelevant? Young guys.... jeez. Put down the small screen for a minute.
Nope, never noticed that. To whom are you referring? Marcus Strickland? Bob Reynolds? Troy Roberts? Will Vinson? Jaleel Shaw? Julius Tolentino? Donny McCaslin? Seamus Blake? Josh Redman? Cuz I never noticed what you mentioned with them...

·
5,092 Posts
Joshua redman is 40 years old not exactly what you call a young guy.
I thought it was young. And seeing as how his tone hasn't changed since 15 years ago... or is 25 not young either? Damn, there goes my whole argument. Never mind. I agree. All young players play with shrill, bright, thin, lifeless tones. I will now stop playing until someone (other than an elementary school student) calls me old, at which point my tone will be suitably dark.

·
5,092 Posts
Hey simon, I get where you are coming from and have been there, with the "Oops... maybe I should have worded that differently" threads. I think I was being a bit sarcastic in my last post. I guess that the whole "Old Guys" thing is enough to derail a legit question. Maybe old guys wouldn't mind being referred to as "Mature saxmen" or something.
Or "old fartknockers."

·
5,092 Posts
take it easy man, I was making a glittering generality just like the op, although I should have made it more clear. Old guys have a shrill sound, jeez -give me a break - what a stupid thread this is. Like sounding shrill is somehow age related or having a lot of technique and nowhere to go is age related.

The old thing is particularly annoying because everyone seems to be focused on young players that are great. Oh he so young and so great. Who cares? Does he have anything to say? Sometimes not. Who cares how old someone is, it's really ********, I just listen to what they are doing.
I'm not mad at you! Just illustrating the same point you just made.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts