Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but I've noticed that some older saxophone players sound really really bright. Like Karlhos Misajel bright.

Konitz sounds like a kazoo. A ridiculously good kazoo player. He snubs Christian during his solo as well which made me laugh.

Donald Harrison Jr soloing on his nephew's album. Nevermind the pictures of the stoned drummer...

Clarence Clemons in his later years sounded very shrill to me as well. I've played a Cannonball tenor with the Fat Neck and a Rovner Deep V plus Plasticovers and I didn't come close to his level of shrillness.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not everyone sounds shrill as they age, but I thought Lee Konitz was part of the "Cool Jazz" movement that Miles Davis started but didn't get any credit until after he stopped playing it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
Neither of those sound bright to me. Lee sounds a bit tinny for Lee, but Donald is pretty much as dark as night for someone most know as a pop guy. I don't think Lee subbed Chris in that video, either. Warne and Lee had a tradition of simultaneous improvisation that I think Christian worked in there. That's also a N.O. jazz staple, too, which fits cuz Christian is from N.O.

And Thomas is always stoned. LOL I remember walking up a major Avenue in Boston with him while he smoked a J right there in the middle of the afternoon. BPD drove past in a cruiser and he just palmed it and kept smoking!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Yeah, Brecker sounded really shrill and stuff towards the end.......NOT

I really think most guys sound like they did when they are younger, except a more refined. Like say Brecker. If you listen to the stuff he did when he was like 20, and compare it to the stuff on his last album. Its Michael. Not a whole lot of difference except that older Brecker's sound was more focused and refined.

Perhaps you aren't referring to how a saxophonist's age makes them brighter. Perhaps you are saying they just sound bright to you. That is probably because that is what they heard when they started saxophone. Don Menza said that NONE of the recordings of Charlie Parker ever captured his true sound, which was huge and bright. Perhaps older saxophonists heard that coming up the ranks (as Charlie was the "old guy" then), and took that as the sound they tried to be like.

For me, I grew up listening to Brecker, Tom Scott, Sanborn, and Grover. And a lot of the people my age (30s) and younger seem to sound like them.

Maybe that is it?

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Old guys know stuff young guys haven't thought of yet. It's useful to listen to them.

·
2,077 Posts
If they're really old its because they simply dont practice and play as much as they used to. They retain the licks but not the chops. Case in point: check out recent videos of Big Jay Mcneely, he has a full upper plate etc etc

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
Interesting....as an "old guy" I think the same thing about most of you "young" guys, thin, weak, shrill, lack of any unique tonal qualities, working way too hard but rarely convincing me there's any real commitment to a flexibility of tone. The real goal is to not be identifiable, slotted as a one trick pony. A complete player should be able to purposely be bright, dark and everywhere in between as the situation demands. Don't worry you young guys...with time some of you will figure that out-and how to do it.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Does "bright" mean "sharp"? Because they are both rather sharp in these clips (that's a bit IMO, I haven't done any checks with a tuner and if i'm wrong i apologise for the red herring). I don't think I would describe either of them as bright when they're in tune.

·
5,092 Posts
Interesting....as an "old guy" I think the same thing about most of you "young" guys, thin, weak, shrill, lack of any unique tonal qualities, working way too hard but rarely convincing me there's any real commitment to a flexibility of tone. The real goal is to not be identifiable, slotted as a one trick pony. A complete player should be able to purposely be bright, dark and everywhere in between as the situation demands. Don't worry you young guys...with time some of you will figure that out-and how to do it.
Yeah, but we're still younger... we'll have the last laugh!!!!! LOL

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,041 Posts
Yeah, but we're still younger... we'll have the last laugh!!!!! LOL
If you're lucky and don't get hit by a garbage truck. You'll still have the last laugh tho', if that's any consolation.

Take a moment from texting to look before you cross the street. I'd miss you.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It wasn't meant to be insulting. Andy Fusco of the Buddy Rich Band (not those tribute bands) sounds like Konitz to me. Just a little better.

I didn't think people were so touchy. :shock:

·
2,077 Posts
THat cut of Konits ... remember you can be made or broken by how you are recorded. Sounds to me like he was screwed by the EQ/sound processing to me.
But is the OP talking about guys who had nice full sounds back in the day, but now sound trebly?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts