Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have just read below the Lindell stencil tenor post by Saxesarecool. Milandros answer states that Cazzini Rampone and Alphonso Rampone are 2 different companies, ,so now Im wondering about the history and quality of A rampone horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
It is Alfonso Rampone and Rampone e Cazzani. Two different companies (please spell the names right because you will never find them otherwise)

the available history of these horns is available in a document written by Emanuele Raganato (it’s not much) it tells you only the foundation date of the company.

http://woodwindshelp.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/7/9/23791000/italy_sax.pdf

So, no, Rampone & Cazzani, a different company, certainly predates the Alfonso Rampone company.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replying in such a timely manner. Sorry about the spelling, you have answered some of my questions, but I thirst for more. Anyone?

·
38,847 Posts
Have you read the article?

The company was active between 1930 and 1974 and they were mostly producing stencils. Most of them are easily recognized because of the red rollers, often with a nailfile G# and often with features resemblin Conn saxophones.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Were they really any good or great horns? Who is known to have played one? Seems buying one online would be a pig in a poke. Any serial # info available? Thanks for your last reply, I'm really fascinated by one for sale, but feel like I'm driving blind in a fog!

·
38,847 Posts
1) They may have been but nobody ever included them in their top wish list at the time when they were made. They were certainly trying very hard to look like “ Conn”

2) No-one whom anyone would never know of. But that is true of so many horns especially of Italian ( Or lesser known brands French, German and so on) horns. These were made by a factory mostly specialized in stenciling and producing masses of saxophones for those whom couldn’t afford the really expensive brands.
Also you will never find an ad saying “ Player so and so plays Alfonso Rampone”. Alfonso Rampone was the equivalent of a generic a nowadays Taiwanese maker ( there were cheaper ones too whom would be the equivalent of the generic Chinese makers), brands you have never heard of producing for other “ brands” that you may or may not have heard before.

Surprisingly there may have been a connection at some point with Gerry Mulligan, whom came to Quarna sotto . It is not entirely clear whether he had come to buy an instrument and from which factory (Rampone & Cazzani claims this for themselves but Emanuele Raganato says that the connection was with Alfonso Rampone) but the factories were next to each other and it seems impossible that Gerry Mulligan wouldn’t have gone next door (and to Grassi too!).

3) Serial numbers are gone with the archives of a factory that wasn’t even known among players until a few years ago. In 1974 when it shut down nobody was really looking to preserve those things. If anything may be known it may be at the Museum at Quarna sotto. In Quarna sotto there were 3 factories Rampone & Cazzani, Grassi and Alfonso Rampone. They have a museum there and SOME things may have been preserved.
https://www.comune.quarnasotto.vb.i...fiato-1963-1-a40c469acf5a8f2258e7a8de60cd6dbd

You are looking for things that are not there. We know way more about this maker than we know about so many others. In the relatively close Paré by Como, there was the factory by Alfredo Santoni, they were turning thousands of saxophones out every year and until few years ago we didn’t even know it existed. Lots of their horns have been misidentified for years and then we discovered that thy made lots of them.

A family member of the former owners ( Bulgeroni a hobo maker) still has a shop. I have writtent to them (in Italian) many times and never got any reply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts