Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I need a horn to off to college with.

I have a possible YTS62. It is in okay condition. It would need all new pads (it clicks a lot when you press the buttons). I love the 62, and looks aren't a huge thing for me.

She was asking 1650, then she dropped it to 1450. I told her it would need about 500 worth of repairs, and I am thinking of offering about 1000 for it.

Your help would be much appreciated, should I offer? Should I buy it!?

[email protected] is my email address, you can just email me there

thanks!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Have you tried it? Have you put it through its paces? Do you know every problem on the horn? I can see where you are coming from a YTS-62 for 1000 that needs repairs sounds good but make sure everything on the horn is fixable i have had several horns where I thought it could be fixed but took it to my tech and they said they couldn't fix it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Yes, $1,000 up to $1,250. The repad will be in the $300 to $500 price range and very possibly more. From what I've seen on eBay, $1,650 is about the going rate for a YTS62 (model 1) in great shape and supposedly ready to play.

If this horn is in great physical condition otherwise, then buying it and having it repadded at a local shop is a better deal because you know what you are getting and have some control as to how the horns gets set up. Buying a horn ready to play on eBay is always a crapshoot, even when being sold by a reputable shop.

My personal tactic would be to offer $1,000 and then bargain up no higher than $1,250. Check out the cost of a complete overhaul (pads, cork and regulation) at your local shop first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I have played it a bunch of times, and it plays great! Its got a couple of leaks, and it clicks when it plays (I hate that!), and the pads are all old, dry, and cracked.

But otherwise the horn is good. Except for the silkscreened yamaha logo! I hate that!! ha ha, its cool

thanks for your help!

·
Registered
762 Posts
The general consencus is that the "silkscreened yamaha logo" 62's were the best of the bunch. I'd agree with that. If it plays great and you like the horn, then buy it. The problems you describe are just every day bread & butter to any tech.

·
Registered
278 Posts
well then get it, and maybe put some oil on the keys, not a lot thought

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Yodaplaystenor said:
Ok, I need a horn to off to college with.
When you to college, sure all your sentences a verb!:D

R.

ps. sounds like you know exactly what you're doing on the sax front! Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
verbs are for squares

rleitch said:
When you to college, sure all your sentences a verb!:D

ha ha! I like it. but its a web forum, cut me some slack!!!

and thanks all, we will see what my offer brings!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,578 Posts
If it plays great except for a few clicks and a random leak or two why are you inisisting it needs $500 in work? Sounds more like $40-100.

If you are saying $500 because you want it padded with roo pads and set up by a pro (or something similar) keep in mind that that's not the seller's responsibilty.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay guys!! Thanks alot, I purchased the sax and I am now a happy owner of a Yamaha YTS62 for 1000 dollars

1 - 11 of 11 Posts