Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't record the gig, I wish I had. I was unamplified in a winery barrel room with the band for a 4 hour gig. Heres what I noticed from the 15 minutes a day of overtone and long tone work. 1. I actually liked my tone. I got a good combo of reed and open throat and I guess the room but I was fat and full and not too bright. 2. My low end was much much fatter I actually could do lines that sounded like a tenor, easy facility all the way down the horn. 3. My alt was easy, up to C#4 easy to navigate. I had to work to not do too much up there. 4. When I like my tone, I phrase much more and don't play so fast. I really set up some nice grooves on dance tunes and explored some new harmonic stuff on the jazz tunes.

Now what playing blues changes in all keys everyday has done. 1. I had that fraction of extra time on lines to phrase better.
2. on tunes where I again forgot the changes my ear saved me time and time again. 3. I just sounded better. K

So I believe a good routine yields noticeable results in a relatively short time K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1 - 2 of 2 Posts