Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, does anyone know if there are size differences between the neck of a High Pitch Conn tenor versus a neck from a Low Pitch Conn tenor? To my naked eye, just looking at pictures, it appears the same, but I know better than to just rely on that.

Reason I ask is I'm trying to track down a neck to use with my new Conn NW I tenor. I saw someone who had a Conn NW tenor neck, but from a high pitch horn. Anyone know for sure? Or maybe has access to these necks and can measure for lil' ole me?

Thanks everyone!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Most players have very little experience with the old high pitch saxes. And the few "super techs" that know these things may not be on line right now.

Another option is to place a "WTB:" in the marketplace here on SOTW asking to buy a New Wonder tenor neck. Conn New Wonders are very common, so I'll bet somebody has an extra.

·
Banned
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks enviroguy, I'm still curious to know even if I DIDN'T need one.
And I have a post up in the Marketplace. And unfortunately they do seem hard to come by. I needed one also a while back- took about 3 months to find one :(

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
selmer 26 nino, 22 curved sop, super alto, King Super 20 and Martin tenors, Stowasser tartogatos
3,401 Posts
It might work and it might not. Small length differences should be OK, as the mpc can be moved on the cork, but if the diameter is different that spells trouble.

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,328 Posts
It will make probably saxophone noises (though you may need to fit the neck tenon), but I seriously doubt it will be in tune- although a New Wonder I isn't exactly the worlds most precisely tuned saxophone to begin with.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,843 Posts
Can you try the neck before purchasing it, or is there a return policy from the seller? The neck taper of the HP neck may be similar to the taper of the proper neck. By pulling out the neck at the tenon, and by adding a ferrule 1/2 inch or so long to the exterior of the small end of the neck, you may be able to save the saxophone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
selmer 26 nino, 22 curved sop, super alto, King Super 20 and Martin tenors, Stowasser tartogatos
3,401 Posts
SOS---Save Our Sax :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,329 Posts
I would try it out and see if thats a possibility.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I just arrived here because I found a Conn Chu tenor in a shop in NOS condition... stencilled Hawkes and Son, Piccadilly Circus, but unmistakably a Chu, RTH, nailfile G#, M serial, mercedes keyguard... I was so excited, but then it hit me that it was engraved H for high pitch. Does anyone still have use for these horns?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,628 Posts
Lamp? Paperweight? Wall ornament?

On a serious note (pun!) you are in India and there seems to be a tradition where HP instruments were used in Carnatic music.

Apparently the great Dr. Kadri Gopal used until not long ago an HP saxophone and if that is really the case it should be difficult to sell

[video]http://video.webindia123.com/interviews/musician/kadrigopalnath/[/video]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts