Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The horn is 10 years old but looks in excellent shape. The first thing I notice is the 2nd octave G and G# are hard to get. You can slur into them but it's hit and miss if you articulate the notes. Also, the the low B and Bb motorboat some. (Same thing happens with my beginners, 30 year old Conn.) So I look the left hand side keys and notice there is side to side play in these keys, especially the Eb. The Eb side key has what appears to be a cotter pin through it instead of a screw. I'm begiinning to think maybe this sax wasn't meant to last much longer than 10 years and I should look elsewhere. It's lighter in weight than my old sax, and I'm bit suspicious that this might not be a mid-level horn I'm going to check the whole thing over with a leak light this afternoon and see what's what.
What do you guys think? Is it me or the horn?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I seem to have pretty much gotten most of the bugs out of the horn. Some of the screws werer falling out and screwing them back in made things much better. The G,G# are a bit better and I've been practicing on the horn. It sounds great, but I've been playing on pieces of S**t fir the last four years, so I'm no judge. If the horn were in perfect working order, what should I pay? Should I buy it or wait for a better horn? I put a lot of time into this-two hours a day.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Before you pay that kind of money for a Selmer USA, why don't you check out www.2ndending.com. This site belongs to one of the members here, JayeSF and his "mission" is to take vintage instruments, get them playing well and into the hands of musicians. He has quite a few altos on his site (my fave would be the Vito Beaugnier) with some vid files to hear the horn being played.

Just a thought........

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,567 Posts
If you are thinking of spending $1,000: you should look around and find a good "pro" horn. That money will get you a lot of saxophone (vintage or modern) on the used horn market. I have never dealt personally with JayeSF, but he has a lot of nice horns on his site, and a good reputation on the forum.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
swperry, I have been looking around. It's very difficult to find one locally (Mobile, AL area). Even New Orleans doesn't seem very sax friendly.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Personally, I think you'd do just about as well with this one--and save the extra cash for lessons or save towards a nice used pro or vintage horn in a few years.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Drake, I hear what you are saying, but I've already gone through two saxes that don't work and/or are money pits and/or are covered with rubber bands. My Conn has two rubber bands on it right now and a 3rd spring is about ready to go. I'm done with that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts