Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that this may make a few people a little upset, but this needs to be said:

A lot of people post here saying things like "I need to get a new mouthpiece. I want something with good projection and good intonation." This is not enough information. Inevitably, we just get a list of everyone's favorite pieces, which merely confuses the person. So, to make this section more useful, I think that we need to make a list of guideline questions to give us a little more help when trying to answer these questions. Here are a few to get started, please add some more:

1. What type of music are you playing most of the time? (Jazz, Rock, Classical, Band, etc.)
2. What is your budget? It doesn't make sense to suggest a Guardala on a Rico Royal budget.
3. What kind of horn are you playing? It is a fact that some horns play better with some mouthpieces.
4. What level player are you? (Beginner, Intermediate, Pro, "Weekend Warrior", student, etc.)
5. What setting is this going to be played in? (Big Band, Funk Band, small group, chamber group, soloist, etc.)

As I said, please add some more...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 &
1,270 Posts
J.Max said:
I realize that this may make a few people a little upset, but this needs to be said:

A lot of people post here saying things like "I need to get a new mouthpiece. I want something with good projection and good intonation." This is not enough information. Inevitably, we just get a list of everyone's favorite pieces, which merely confuses the person. So, to make this section more useful, I think that we need to make a list of guideline questions to give us a little more help when trying to answer these questions. Here are a few to get started, please add some more:

1. What type of music are you playing most of the time? (Jazz, Rock, Classical, Band, etc.)
2. What is your budget? It doesn't make sense to suggest a Guardala on a Rico Royal budget.
3. What kind of horn are you playing? It is a fact that some horns play better with some mouthpieces.
4. What level player are you? (Beginner, Intermediate, Pro, "Weekend Warrior", student, etc.)
5. What setting is this going to be played in? (Big Band, Funk Band, small group, chamber group, soloist, etc.)

As I said, please add some more...
Excellent post! It should be added as a "sticky" to the Mouthpiece Forum. And might I suggest that #3 should include both sax voice ( sop, alto, etc) as well as brand and model.
Ruth

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to bump my own post, but I thought of another one:

What are you trying to achieve with this new piece? Do you want a darker sound? Brighter sound? Better intonation on your particular horn? etc.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
J.Max said:
Sorry to bump my own post, but I thought of another one:

What are you trying to achieve with this new piece? Do you want a darker sound? Brighter sound? Better intonation on your particular horn? etc.
To add to your last question.....What piece are you currently or have played and what is it lacking.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 / RIP
1,363 Posts
Excellent Thread...

Might I suggest we also require favorite reed and ligature?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,774 Posts
Hay guys, im lookin fer a mthpc that will get me a jazzy sound like john coltrane or kenny g wuts the best 1?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
dirty said:
Hay guys, im lookin fer a mthpc that will get me a jazzy sound like john coltrane or kenny g wuts the best 1?

Git a Selman C* cuzz thats teh best moutpece. This is fr suprano rght?

·
Registered
928 Posts
And I want to get that "sonic toothache" sound like XXX. How to do it?

·
Registered
582 Posts
OK, I think we need to have discussion here....

Excellent post and idea J.Max. Only thing I don't understand is why would anyone get upset about offering a good idea? :? Thanks !!

·
1,363 Posts
martysax said:
You aren't married are you Dan?
I nominate this comment as the best of the week so far!

·
1,363 Posts
dirty said:
Dear Mr. 'Dirty',
I have a few questions before I can respond with an intellegent, (smart-a**), well thought out recommendation.

3. What kind of horn are you playing? (example: Selmer Ref 36 tenor) It is a fact that some horns play better with some mouthpieces.
6. What is your favorite reed (strength and brand)?
7. Any Ligature preferences?

WE, the High Priests of the Temple of the Saxophone, will provide our final answer upon hearing your responses. However, DO NOT expect us to agree with each other, because each High Priest has an opinion of his/her own...I mean, who do you think we are? The Supreme Court? (I know they don't all agree, and the majority wins, but at least they come up with a final decision and stand behind it...sax players are liable to change their minds after each new setup!) :twisted:

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
I have a list of similar questions on my site. I ask about what sax they play but I do not think it is that important sound-wise to the mouthpiece choice. I think it is more of an indicator of the player's personality or finances.

More useful to me is what mouthpieces they have played on and their impressions of how they were not meeting their needs. These are data points of experiance that also include the player's chops.

I ask who they listen to to get an idea of their sound concept. But I know if you listen to Ray Charles, you are listening to phrasing and sound.

·
Registered
582 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,419 Posts
I hear it's good to soak your mouthpiece and reed in johnnie walker red before going on the stand of a $50 society gig. Any truth to that rumor?

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,794 Posts
jazzbluescat said:
I hear it's good to soak your mouthpiece and reed in johnnie walker red before going on the stand of a $50 society gig. Any truth to that rumor?
I actually soak my mouth with whisky before every gig, with or without the $50 society. I don't believe JW red will suffice, black, blue or gold will.

I actually prefer single malt from the highlands or islands, at least 12 years old, served neat in an old-fashioned glass, no chaser.

·
Registered
139 Posts
OMG. I have been doing it wrong this whole time. I always soaked the reed in my mouth. and left the mpc alone. I guess I will go try what you guys do. Where can I find a Selman z**

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jazzbluescat said:

Depends. If it's a Latin gig, you might want to use Tequila or Rum, and if it's a Bar Mitzvah, you might want to use Manischewiz.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts