Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I missed out on the Keilwerth SX90, what is SOTW thoughts on a Keilwerth Intermediate (Excalibur or ST 90) as compared to a Yamaha 52?

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Yamaha...thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
I believe the Yamaha was a pro sax back when it was released- the Keilwerth never was. I am a fan of Keilwerth pro horns, but not their student/intermediate models so much.

I've worked on quite a few 52s, and although they are built a bit oddly compared to most horns, they are pro through and through.

My opinion is go for the YAS52.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, abadcliche! I've been plowing through a lot of research and looking at JK's, Yamaha 52's and Selmers. The Yamaha 52's are going crazy on EBAY! I'm gonna buy one for $800. The Selmer intermediate horns are just too much money for me. Plus, I've heard the Yamaha 52's are fairly close to 62's...but not quite.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
I just sold a 52 for 750...wish I had known you were looking for one...it played great.

C

·
0 Posts
As someone who earlier told you to go with the SX 90. Now I would have to go with the Yamaha. I as said earlier, Yamaha is IMHO the best when it comes to building a high value intermediate. The 52 is a very nice intermediate, but I would not call it a pro horn. It lacks the better neck and annealed bells that the pro horns have. Still, it's one of the best horns available at an intermediate price range. If you buy it right, you can be sure to sell it later for close to your purchase price, maybe more.

Give it a go before it's gone too !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
My personal suggestion is to go with neither.

Wait until you've got a little more money and you can get the horn you want.

What's your budget?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, all! Didn't wait this time...bought it for $800. My budget? I'm the cheapest man on the planet and the most impatient. Seriously, I'm in a place where I could purchase just about any top-of-the-line horn, but my skills are not there yet. I bought a Bundy II recently (that'll be up on EBAY before the end of the week) to see if I still had it in me; I had been out of playing for some time.

Right now, an intermediate horn suits me; I was hoping to get a higher level horn at a dirt cheap price...that was a pipe dream.

I smart enough (and cheap enough) to know that just because you buy the best sax, you are not going to be the best player. You gotta be realistic, go with your skill level and take it from there. Golf is the same; you can't buy a golf game...

Thanks all again!

Vinnie

C

·
0 Posts
You did well grasshopper, $800 for a YTS 52 is a decent price. Now you can buy the G1 neck that another poster has to offer. :D

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
I stand corrected about the YAS52- looks like it was an high-end intermediate horn to begin with. Well, if it means anything, I thought it was just an older pro model. It is certainly better than the YAS475, IMHO.

I think you got a good deal!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! Can't wait to try it out...hopefully, I'll be looking for that pro-end horn in the near future.

I did a lot of research, but I always start with my SOTW friends. Your advice is valued more than I can say!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
If its anything like the 52 I had recently, it will be great. The 52 I had was the best playing horn I have played since I sold my Mark vi. I have had a couple Keilwerths and a Selmer Paris II...The 52 out of the case was a monster player. It won hands down. I just couldnt sell it for as much as the Keilwerths or Selmers. Now my sx90 tenor is a beast as well, but I am not a big fan of the Keilwerth altos. I prefer the yamaha altos.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts