Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have played tenor forever, but took up soprano just a few months ago. I have practiced when I could find the time, and Im beginning to like what I hear... What do YOU think? Any experienced soprano players out there who can give me some advice?

I threw in a little bari on the end of the recording.....I shouldnt....:D

Click on the song: "impro sop bari"
www.myspace.com/magnefalk

have a nice weekend everyone!! :cool:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
The recording quality seem kinda low but you sound great.

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
Nice job! I like the fact your soprano sounds like a sax and not a oboe.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
patseguin said:
The recording quality seem kinda low but you sound great.
Thaks alot... The quality is fixed now....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
saxmanglen said:
Nice job! I like the fact your soprano sounds like a sax and not a oboe.
hehe.... If I wanted that I would buy a oboe...but I dont want that!
Thaks man!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Intonation problems on soprano

I went from 3,5 reeds to 2,5 and that made intonation on the high notes easier...really struggeled earlier. I have quite a big tip opening on my mouthpiece. Maybe I should have chosen smaller.... One thing I also noticed when I started playing soprano was that the fear of intonation problems itself created problems... I try to say to myself that I will hit the tones spot on...and it kind of helps...I think....you decide....
But anyway...I have leared that the soprano is WAY more difficult than the tenor to play.....

·
1,207 Posts
markVIinNorway said:
I went from 3,5 reeds to 2,5 and that made intonation on the high notes easier...really struggeled earlier. I have quite a big tip opening on my mouthpiece. Maybe I should have chosen smaller.... One thing I also noticed when I started playing soprano was that the fear of intonation problems itself created problems... I try to say to myself that I will hit the tones spot on...and it kind of helps...I think....you decide....
But anyway...I have leared that the soprano is WAY more difficult than the tenor to play.....
I love the way you are playing similar lines to what you play on the tenor. It sounds "bouncy" and rythmical which makes a change for sop players. (hence the oboe comment)

IMHO too many soprano players go for the long note "kenny G;) " soaring/floating feel which is way overdone, so congratulations.

·
878 Posts
Sounds much better Mark. You have a great unique sound. Is that attributable to the bari mouthpiece or just your style?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
patseguin said:
Sounds much better Mark. You have a great unique sound. Is that attributable to the bari mouthpiece or just your style?
thanks a lot!
I really dont know, but I first used the original Yamaha mouthpiece wich I didnt like at all then I tried a beechler metal. With that one I really struggeled on the high notes and the low notes was so hard to do. I find the Bari mouthpiece very easy to play, almost as easy as a JodyJazz DV I tried about a month ago but the price stopped me from getting that one....

I think I let quite a lot of air flow "around" the mouthpiece and that could make my sound differ from others, but Im not sure.. I use a big opening, *68 and a rather small reed, 2.5 rico's

Im very glad to hear that you like my sound, it gives me confidence.:)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
markVIinNorway said:
I have leared that the soprano is WAY more difficult than the tenor to play.....
Yes, agreed! I still struggle with it myself...

But you have got a nice sound, great playing!
Some nice baritone playing as well. :)

Cheers,
Wim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts