Sax on the Web Forum banner

Oh, to be an "Idealist"

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  maddenma 
#1 ·
So........

Not to often anymore do I feel like ranting, but I just need to vent tonight as I just hired musicians for 2 Musicals (about 11 people each) for a good chunk of change. If I pay well ... I want it done right. I am not asking for favors, I am employing musicians

I REALLY like doing things the way they were intended to be done.

Below is a list of things that have actually happened over the years and some more than once or twice.

#1.

No, I will not hire you to play the reed 3 Oboe doubling book. Its because you don't play oboe. No you cant just do it on flute. NO YOU CANT DO IT ON C Clarinet. and Furthermore NO YOU CANT PLAY IT ON SOPRANO SAXOPHONE!!!!! In short - if there is somebody out there who is able and available to play that book - I will hire them. If nobody is available, I will look for new players that can do it. If I still fall short - THEN AND ONLY THEN will I THINK about covering it on another instrument.

As a repair tech you wouldn't want me to use clarinet pads in your piccolo would you? Why should the audience listen to a C Clarinet when an Oboe was the intention?

Why did I not hire you this year? Well, I couldn't find a reason to. Every musician has an upside and a down side to hiring them. As along as the upside outweighs the downs side, you are valuable as a musician to me. If you were the most amazing player on the planet then I could overlook the fact that you complain alot. Heck I might even overlook the rides you need all the time to the gig. But you are just an average player, with alot of un necessary drama. Thats why I didn't hire you this year!

Why doesn't the drummer own a ratchet? A bell tree? Slide whistle? A set of bells that wasn't bought at a Toys R Us? It always seems like there is SOMETHING a drummer needs and doesn't own. I don't want to hear the excuse that it is too expensive when I am sitting there with my Weissman Picc, Haynes Flute, Buffet Clarinet, Mark VI Alto and all the associated gear in front of me!! Oh ya - thats why I didn't hire YOU!

You are my friend. You were not the right one for the gig this year. I know you can play flute but why should I hire you - the flute doubler - to play the "All Flute" book this year when I can hire a professional Flautist that will sound amazing and eat the book up and make it seem like child's play? Yes I know you can get the job done. I just want the people hiring me to be happy so I can keep being their contractor for years to come. It's not a personal decision - please understand that. Maybe next year (unless you cry too much about it)

Yes I hired you last year. No I don't have anything for you this year. Don't call me - I'll call you.

No - I want you on the whole run. 3 Rehearsals and 3 Shows. I don't want you to sub out 2 dates. Why Should I hire you to do 2/3rds of the show when the guy that would sub for you can do just as good of job and he is available for the whole gig?

What do you mean you are sending in a sub tomorrow? Is there a problem? No, you just got a higher paying gig for tomorrow night? Does that mean that if I can find somebody who will play the rest of the run for less money I can call you and tell you to stay home? (actually heard a contractor say that to a musician .... IT WAS AMAZING!!)

Anyhow,
I feel better now.

Charlie

See less See more
#3 ·
So . . . does that mean you're not going to call me Monday?

#4 ·
Depends Gary - Are you a whiny C Clarinet player without a car who is pestering me for a gig only to not be able to do the full run and then bail last min to go to a better gig?

#8 ·
Most people hate doubling...they hate practicing all the axes & really doing it right, so there are many that "get over" by doing it half-arse....but there is a small percentage who do enjoy it & try very hard to do the best they can on every instrument, take it very seriously....I'm convinced that these cats move to NYC or LA as fast as they are able, leaving the rest of the country to deal with the half-arse or guys that once "had it" but now have "lost it":):)

sorry for your problems, but not surprised:)

#9 ·
My policy is that if I agree to play a gig, those dates are booked the moment the gig is confirmed. First come, first served, regardless of the pay--even if the sub would be OK with the MD or bandleader.

#10 ·
Here's a few things to add to your list. My daughter is mid-way through playing in Music Man, and had a few observations about the performances this week. (She got hired to play Reed 2, the oboe book, because she can play oboe/EH).

--If you are hired as a sub and are sight-reading the performance, don't watch the show instead of playing.

--If you have the lead clarinet book, don't take frequent breaks and figure you can just let the 2nd clarinet/oboe player play all the high parts. The MD will notice.

#14 ·
Thank goodness that I'm only an average player/doubler and don't get called for paid shows.
I don't deal well with drama unless it's on the stage. Sit down, shut up, and play what's in front of you. Can't do it? Leave and we'll find someone who can!
Sure I do my share of complaining but never during rehearsals. When I'm in the pit I give everything I've got to ensure the best performance I can possibly give.

Graysax, if you ever called on me to fill a spot I would first ask if you were nuts, desperate, or both!
But if I agreed, I would try my darndest to not disappoint you. :)

#15 ·
Graysax, if you ever called on me to fill a spot I would first ask if you were nuts, desperate, or both!
But if I agreed, I would try my darndest to not disappoint you. :)
Me too. BTW, did I mention that I was in Brooklyn? :mrgreen:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.