Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Nasty, nasty, NASTY... But it would go nicely with Mrs Toot's new handbag..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you pay for said handbag? If so, acquire her a new "accessory" to go along with the handbag so you match!

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
ianhart said:
Did you pay for said handbag? If so, acquire her a new "accessory" to go along with the handbag so you match!
Did I PAY??? PAY?? [chokes on toast] Are you perhaps confusing me with a "generous" person?? ;) 30p from the Oxfam shop - a real bargain!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Yep, it's got a real late Aristocrat neck instead of the later Bundy style. It's probably pre-Selmer. But all pre-Selmer Ari's had engravings. I don't see any on this horn.

It's still a horror. :cry:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RootyTootoot said:
Did I PAY??? PAY?? [chokes on toast] Are you perhaps confusing me with a "generous" person?? ;) 30p from the Oxfam shop - a real bargain!!!
:sign5:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
It's a post buy-out horn. All it needs in some nice hand floral painting around the bell in hot pink and it would be beautiful.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had an old Aristocrat that looked exactly like that horn! I painted it black back in high school in the late '80's. I actually should have made a lamp out of it, but did not. It might be just me, but it was an awful horn that had very thin metal and an awful key setup. I am not sure what vintage it was, possibly '60's, but I sure am glad that I don't have to play it anymore.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Well, the key guards on the bell are from quite late on; certainly from the Selmer era.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke.
2,968 Posts
If set up properly and the keywork is swedged and balanced these horns can play very nicely indeed. Anyone who has had a bad experience with these becasue they were a loaner or school horn and has been turned off Bueschers as result, needs to have a look at a real Buescher Aristocrat. This being said, the late 60's Bueschers will actually play quite well when they are set up correctly.

·
5,528 Posts
Yeah, even though it looks to a have an older style neck, it probably is a later horn. The exact same as the Bundy. But these aren't bad horns at all. My old Bundy school horn is loud and aggressive sounding with pretty good tone. It beats other school horns from that era. No problem getting 1's at solo and ensemble contests and making All Region bands in high school. Plus, once installed with domed metal resonators it becomes more Aristocrat like in tone but very loud and great for marching band. The only real down side is slightly wild intonation and a brighter thinner sound than a real Buescher.

I still use my Bundy tenor as a backup horn with a FPB Moore neck that helps the intonation and focuses the sound. These horns are not Buescher 400's, but they are still fun to play.

·
5,528 Posts
Grumps said:
Perhaps it was made for Larry Teal...
A Teal?

Them's good eatin'!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,221 Posts
Just what some high schooler would want for marching band. But hey, you'll always know which kid is yours!

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Actually, I kind'a dig it. :headbang:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts