Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
What a completely useless song to play on sax. You can't beat the Orbisson vocal, and even Van Halen's version is cool, but on a sax?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a completely useless song to play on sax. You can't beat the Orbisson vocal, and even Van Halen's version is cool, but on a sax?
Thank you very much for your very informative post.... I have no intention of trying to do better than Orbison...

anyone else?

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Thank you very much for your very informative post.... I have no intention of trying to do better than Orbison...

anyone else?
So you'll be trying to do better than Van Halen?

I doubt that anyone here will have the sheet music for this tune, because 1saxman is right. But I bet you could figure out the notes to play in about 5 minutes. And that includes the time it will take to write them down.

Try it. It's an important skill to develop. Good luck, and have fun with it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Buck for your reply. Better than Van Halen? Why not!! But not quite yet......

I feel the urge to reply here as there is a trend in this sub-forum to say "figure it out on your own, it is easy, it is an important skill, etc...."

This forum is for beginners (like me) who do not have the experience nor the knowledge in their early stage to figure out a song. I sure wish it will come with time but now I am not able to do it. For some folks who have more experience, it might be easy to figure a song out but NOT FOR A BEGINNER. I first have to learn how to walk having fun in the process with songs that some pro players think as "completely useless" before I run.

So before you reply to a beginner in a beginner's forum "figure it out on your own, it is easy, it is an important skill" think back to your early learning stage and how it would have felt if an advanced player had given you that advise.

cheers

·
Registered
480 Posts
grossomodo,

Don't let this place get to you. I went through this when I first joined SOTW too. You'll just have to learn to filter out the negativity as MOST people don't mean to be as negative as their posts "sound" when written.

Unfortunately, with this particular tune, you probably will be hard pressed to find it written out specifically for sax. Check this link http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Oh-Pretty-Woman/2923306 and you can buy the sheet music. It may not be the best key for a particular instrument, but it may get you started.

·
5,484 Posts
Check out Boots Randolph's Music Minus One title Nashville Classics, (I think that's the name) It has his arrangement for Pretty Woman in it for tenor and alto. (Bb and Eb instruments).

Sheetmusicplus.com or Amazon.com. Either one will have it.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
I feel the urge to reply here as there is a trend in this sub-forum to say "figure it out on your own, it is easy, it is an important skill, etc...."

This forum is for beginners (like me) who do not have the experience nor the knowledge in their early stage to figure out a song. I sure wish it will come with time but now I am not able to do it. For some folks who have more experience, it might be easy to figure a song out but NOT FOR A BEGINNER. I first have to learn how to walk having fun in the process with songs that some pro players think as "completely useless" before I run.

So before you reply to a beginner in a beginner's forum "figure it out on your own, it is easy, it is an important skill" think back to your early learning stage and how it would have felt if an advanced player had given you that advise.
Good point. I apologize. I hope you find the sheet music you are looking for. But in the meantime, I would suggest spending at least a few minutes at the end of every practice session playing around on your horn and trying to play at least portions of tunes you know by ear (no sheet music). You'll get the hang of it, and you'll find it very satisfying. Start in easy keys. And remember, just like in walking, success is getting up just one more time than falling down. It's all part of the process of learning. Again, good luck to you, grossomodo, and I appreciated your comments.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
They did, and I'm glad of it.

When I used to teach beginners, I taught them tunes by ear, not by sheet music. People who start off using sheet music (for simple tunes) can easily get bogged down with a need to always have music, and find it much harder later on when they want to improvise and sometimes develop a phobia of not having the dots in front of them. Pardon me if this seems a bit harsh, I mean it with the best of intentions.

Also when you say "This forum is for beginners (like me) who do not have the experience nor the knowledge in their early stage to figure out a song", that isn't entirely correct.

This forum is for beginners, many of whom can figure out a simple melody (we're not talking bebop here). It has nothing to do with experience or knowledge, but everything to do with listening, patience and sheer dedication. Those who can't figure out a simple melody should, I believe, be encouraged to figure it out.

Plus, even if someone did have the sheet music, that song is still in copyright, so you could end up doing something illegal if you get a copy.

·
Registered
8,404 Posts
You are wrong. It is only completely useless if we have to hear him play it. Sorry, I just had to pile on.

·
3,494 Posts
I'm a lousy singer and I can hum or sing a reasonable rendition of this tune.
I'm sure you can sing it also. If you can't, give up now.
If you can read the music for it, assuming it is available, then you are not
a rank beginner.

Just try singing the first line, "Pret-ty wom-an"
Then see if you can pick them out on your horn.
The first two notes are the same. No problem there.
Then the next two notes descend. I'm sure you
should be able to find these first four notes. Actually
only three because the first two are repeated.

Do this and you are on your way because the next line
uses the same notes, returning to the first note.
And the next line and the next line, are the same......

The first three notes you learn on sax are B, A, and G.
Try playing B,B,A,G. Does that ring a bell ?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I always hated when some of the musicians I played with
would still have their music stands up reading away, even at practices.
Pissed me off actually because the music always suffered to some degree.
Naturally, I encourage reading for studio sessions as well as in learning a piece of music/transcription, etc.
In a potential working situation it's not wise to be a musical illiterate because you certainly won't work.

Once on the bandstand everything should be committed to memory in my opinion.
Once there we should be embracing the notes and not just spew them out in a perfunctory way
even if you are an excellent reader. Leave the blueprints at home!

Grossomodo, if you want to play anything at all that appeals to you never listen to anyone if any individual thinks it's a bad idea. Useless to some may be fruitful for others. Some may feel they are doing you justice by exercising their right to
opinion, when in fact they may possibly be doing you, and others, an injustice when concerning the impressionable type.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for the all the advise. I will certainly put most of them in practice.
Thanks also for the leads to buy the music. I will check them out.

cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Plus, even if someone did have the sheet music, that song is still in copyright, so you could end up doing something illegal if you get a copy.
Mr. Thomas, when someone posts in this forum, it does not necessarily mean they are looking for FREE music sheet but maybe a lead as to where to find the right resources on the web to purchase it. Thanks for the rest of your reply, I will keep this in mind during my progression.

cheers

·
2,144 Posts
groosomodo...for a bit of insight into why you've received some of the comments that you may perceive as negative, it has been a longstanding trend on SOTW that probably 90%-95% of the posts requesting sheet music come from members like yourself who have extremely low post counts. Most of those requests ARE asking for free sheet music, and the way you worded your original post certainly made it sound that way. "Would anyone have...?" is a long way from "Could someone help me find...?"

Stick around long enough and you will discover that the overwhelming majority of SOTW members are more than happy to answer legitimate questions, offer advice, and generally be as helpful as possible when it's clear that someone has a genuine desire to learn. But those same people tend to be annoyed when new members start out by asking for free sheet music...especially when the songs being requested are tunes so simple that even a beginner should be able to figure out the melody with a little effort. People here LOVE to help others...but providing sheet music for extremely simple pop tunes isn't what most of us would consider being very helpful, or even worthy of our time. Entering "Pretty Woman Sheet Music" in a Google search is so simple that naturally most of us would assume you were looking to get it for free from someone here. And Pete was correct. Rarely is sheet music requested here that isn't still under copyright, so filling that request would be illegal and few here are going to do it.

Rather than being offended...just try to understand where we're coming from. Though it may not have been the help you were looking for, by far the most helpful responses on this thread were the ones that suggested trying to learn the tune without the sheet music.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.