Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, on a recent x-mas morning, i got an amazing Jodyjazz Classic 6 mouthpiece for my alto sax. After i was finished playing, my beginner self stupidly tried to shove the mouthpiece, with rico ligature and cap, into a hole that had been made for regular metal, screw-near-reed ligatures. Surely enough, i bent the ligature. then i cut a more proper hole in the case. Is there a proper way to un-bend it? It is bent near the screws, to the point that effects my playability, I think.
Thnx:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,399 Posts
Without seeing what it is or how it is damaged, it would be difficult to advise you.

Is it metal? If so, you may just remove the screw(s?), open it up, and re-form it with your fingers. Then put it back on the piece with a reed and try to tighten it up. Many metal ligs will re-form around the mouthpiece with screw=pressure.

OR, contact Jody Espina (he has a website) and order a new lig. OR, go to a local music store and buy a lig that will fit your mouthpiece. OR, order one from WW&BW. DAVE

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just realized that a picture would be nice, and i failed to mention it was a rico h ligature.
Here is a picture of the top.
Thnx Dave :)

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,399 Posts
I have one of those for soprano. The one in the photo doesn't look badly damaged. Have you tried to UN- bend it? Maybe a needle-nose plier (with some materiel over the jaws) would help in the tight areas. It isn't like you can't replace the thing. DAVE

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
my vintage two-screw Selmer lig got stepped on or something, was pretty smashed. I carefully reformed it by hand, then put it on the mouthpiece with an old reed and gradually tightned and formed it until it was as close to the original shape as possible. Works fine now.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I really don't like Rico ligs. I know people like the H-ligs but they bend easily.
Plus one also scratched Brilhart Personaline so I sticking with two-screws or Francois Louis.

Not a helpful post I know!

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
my vintage two-screw Selmer lig got stepped on or something, was pretty smashed. I carefully reformed it by hand, then put it on the mouthpiece with an old reed and gradually tightned and formed it until it was as close to the original shape as possible. Works fine now.
Right answer.

Does it hold the reed firmly to your mouthpiece? If so, that's really all what you want it to do. If it's now ugly and you want a new ligature because it's not pretty any more, then go buy one. The H-ligs aren't all that expensive.

I use them on alto and sop. If I bent one, I'd do what fsaxwas9 says -- get it roughly into shape and then use an old reed and the ligature screws to get it roughly right and now worry about it being perfect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THnx everyone!
ligature has been fixed, and i reformed it by hand.
I am not a personal fan of them now that i have experience. But it still gets the job done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts