Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
29,598 Posts

That aside, the website should still be inclusive for all - and by that, I mean women musicians.
Fwiw, I didn't know women musicians were Not inclusive on SOTW. ...haven't seen NO WOMEN ALLOWED signs anywhere.

And, considering the above, it seems a bit disturbing that the female gender issue was triggered by the OP's post, which is two entirely different issues, imho

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,444 Posts
Fwiw, I didn't know women musicians were Not inclusive on SOTW. ...haven't seen NO WOMEN ALLOWED signs anywhere.

And, considering the above, it seems a bit disturbing that the female gender issue was triggered by the OP's post, which is two entirely different issues, imho
I wish we also had a dislike response button.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I probably sound like an idiot, but what was the ad for exactly? The content of ads sometimes is completely unrelated to what the actual "product" is.

Reactions: lostcircuits

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
what, may I ask, was being advertised by the near naked, spread legged busty beach goer? Kinda' reminds me off all the adds I encounter trying to coerce me to buy motor oil, power tools or tyres for the car. I made a point eons ago if a near naked woman's body was thrust in my face in attempts to coerce me to buy something that I would simply boycott the company and its products.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Reactions: swperry1

·
4,444 Posts
So,,, people are supposed to suddenly be interested in the news as a result of that ad? I guess the marketers must think so.
It all seems to be a bait and click game these days. That ad for newzgeeks is a google ad, so the bait seen is determined by your browsing footprint and probably shows up with ten different types of bait to cover all types of browsers.

·
4,444 Posts
There hasn't been a new idea in advertising in at least 50 years.
Perhaps strategies haven't changed much, but if you told ad execs 50 years ago that by 2010 they'd be able to seamlessly integrate intrusive advertising content aimed directly at the individual browsing and lifestyle habits of millions of people with ease and for pennies on the dollar compared to standard print and media marketing; even they'd be skeptical…and perhaps a little afraid.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Perhaps strategies haven't changed much, but if you told ad execs 50 years ago that by 2010 they'd be able to seamlessly integrate intrusive advertising content aimed directly at the browsing and lifestyle habits of millions of people with ease and for pennies on the dollar compared to standard print and media marketing; even they'd be skeptical…and perhaps a little afraid.
Or in my case with absolutely no relationship between the advertising and my browsing habits! Feels like a huge backwards step when unscrupulous online advertising throws away the direct marketing targeting handbook and reverts to the Amex 1980s marketing 'strategy' of throw enough mud at the wall and hope a few traces stick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,605 Posts
this is the same problem all over agin

@VSadmin had answered they can be reported AND BLOCKED ( with a bonus)

I talked to the ad department and they can report them with the following info, please provide the following and I can escalate to try to get them blocked.

Browser
Geo city state country
Timezone
IP address of the user
Platform OS browser

As an incentive for reporting I will provide any member who gives us an accurate report of the above with a free one-year premium membership.

Jeff M

Reactions: VSadmin

·
4,444 Posts
Or in my case with absolutely no relationship between the advertising and my browsing habits! Feels like a huge backwards step when unscrupulous online advertising throws away the direct marketing targeting handbook and reverts to the Amex 1980s marketing 'strategy' of throw enough mud at the wall and hope a few traces stick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'll just mention some things in a browsing history that might make a person the target of an ad with a suggestively posed woman as the clickbait so you can perhaps quel the compulsion to keep saying it's not you in some sort of misguided attempt at defending some kind of non-existent internet honor:
Sports
Music
Cars
Tools/ home improvement
Any and all social media
The simple fact you're a man (and they know that the second you log into anything that has your demographics…like a forum or your email)
The list is very long because internet advertising is incredibly intrusive. Also, schoolyard rules say the more you say it's not your fault, the more people focus on it being your fault. Just let it go man.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,677 Posts
Feels like a huge backwards step when unscrupulous online advertising throws away the direct marketing targeting handbook and reverts to the Amex 1980s marketing 'strategy' of throw enough mud at the wall and hope a few traces stick.
I don't see it as reverting to the 1980s at all; the marketing strategy you describe is as active and probably more active today as it ever was.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts