Sax on the Web Forum banner

Ode to my True Tone Bari!

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  smonkman 
#1 ·
I thought you Buescherphiles would get a kick out of this video ode to my Buescher True Tone baritone, lovingly nicknamed "The Beast", where I put it through it's paces, and show some of it's many faces. It's on Episode 40 of ImprovLive 365.

to find it, go to the episode archive page link below and click on Episode 40: The Beast.

http://www.improvlive365.com/episodearchive/episodearchive.html

PS Episodes 11, 25, 27, and 30 feature me on my Buescher True Tone tenor.

Quite a range to these horns - gotta love 'em!

#5 ·
Thanks for watching Hornlip - I have to be careful - couldn't put much of the dinosaur tones on the clip, as they also seem to attract elephants and other large land animals! The setup I use is a Vandoren B75 with Eric Greiffenhagen's Double chamber modification. It's a great mouthpiece for that horn - keeps it in tune, helps with the burbles around low E, and has enough punch and edge to let me use it in louder settings!

#6 ·
Interesting!! I thought some of the sounds you were getting were pretty dark and fat but you were getting punch out of it too, so I was thinking you had some sort of large chamber / high baffle-ish thing going on.

Based on what I know of Vandoren mpcs, I'm guess the B75's supposed to be a more modern design, relatively small roundish chamber with a bit more baffle than usual, and the Greiffenhagan mod helps you get those fatter tones & keep the intonation in line?

#7 ·
Here's how Eric described what he does (from another SOTW thread): "... as far as my vandoren piece is concerned it's a medium shelf style hard rubber mpc to which I add a "balloon" section in between the primary tone chamber and the bocal section which results in a deeper more resonant sound, which improves intonation on older horns..."

#13 ·
My Bari is almost identical to this and I fight with the low E wurble. I have any old large chamber Bari piece which helps but the tip opening is tiny. Definitely going to contact Erik about getting a double chamber for my horn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.