Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Octave Mechanism for YAS 26

I'm looking for a way to acquire the whole octave mechanism (except for the parts on the neck) for a YAS 26. My repair people have found Yamaha to be unresponsive and unhelpful in doing this so I'm wondering if anyone has a destroyed 26 lying around that I could by that mechanism from, or another suggestion of how to get it. Probably the mech from most modern Yamahas would work as a replacement so...lemme know if you have ideas

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
LOL it censored my title - I used a contraction of "assembly" which was apparently uncouth XD
My arse, the people who compile these language filters are donkeys.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
these are usually easy to get from yamaha parts department.
That's what I thought too, but it's been a major struggle for some reason. There are even charts that show exactly what I want but there's been no way to actually order it from them.

http://parts-search.yamaha.co.jp/html/WIND_ENGLISH/orders/Product/Model/model_e.php?model_id=104442

The lower part of page 4/6 shows the whole mechanism as "J" but it apparently isn't showing up as an option for my dealer to order, and they've even tried talking to the Yamaha people about it and gotten no help.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,992 Posts

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
From the Yamaha website it appears the only parts still available are the #46 thumb key $31.20 and the part that has the body octave key cup #47 $13.52. Yamaha is usually very good at cross referencing parts that fit on more than one model, so at first glance parts from any model other than the 275 are not going to work without some modification (if possible). Your best bet at this point appears to be finding a "parts horn" to salvage the parts from. If you would like I can put out a call to all of the repair groups I participate in to see if anyone has one in their "bone pile". Just let me know.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Somebody probably used the sax you have as a sacrificial sax for parts, because he had difficulty obtaining parts. It's not a very good idea to buy an old-model "parts" sax and then trying to source parts!
Sell it as a parts sax and buy a complete one. :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From the Yamaha website it appears the only parts still available are the #46 thumb key $31.20 and the part that has the body octave key cup #47 $13.52. Yamaha is usually very good at cross referencing parts that fit on more than one model, so at first glance parts from any model other than the 275 are not going to work without some modification (if possible). Your best bet at this point appears to be finding a "parts horn" to salvage the parts from. If you would like I can put out a call to all of the repair groups I participate in to see if anyone has one in their "bone pile". Just let me know.
That'd be awesome, actually. Thank you!

Also - why would it be so hard to get these parts from Yamaha when the horn is in production? Makes no sense

·
17,204 Posts
How did those keys vanish?

·
17,204 Posts
They didn't =) I don't want to go into details about it - it's a lot of work to explain and often derails the thread. All I want to know is how to get those parts.
Even if they are severely bent or broken, restoring keys is usually relatively straight forward for a good tech.
What exactly is wrong with them? Photo?

Over 50 years in this business, the only keys I have ever needed to actually replace were the pot metal ones on B&H Regent (etc) clarinets.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Even if they are severely bent or broken, restoring keys is usually relatively straight forward for a good tech.
What exactly is wrong with them? Photo?

Over 50 years in this business, the only keys I have ever needed to actually replace were the pot metal ones on B&H Regent (etc) clarinets.
Just let it go man. There are really no other scenarios you can imagine in which someone would want some saxophone parts? Perhaps I'll explain when it gets sorted out. Like I said, the only thing I wanted was help finding a way to get a hold of them, not to get into a long defense or explanation of why that's the course of action I'm pursuing.

Anyway, after a 3rd conversation with Yamaha the repair shop finally successfully placed an order for the whole octave mechanism and it should be here in about 6-8 weeks or something.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts