Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yes! If this works, I can use my alto to play baritone parts (at 1/4 the weight):

·
Registered
65 Posts
Cant' go wrong with the boss oc-2

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Are there cheaper ones than the boss?

·
Registered
65 Posts
The Dan Electro DJ-12

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey I know this is an ancient thread, but if anyone sees this:

Does anyone have input regarding a mono vs poly octave pedal? I've arranged my guitar rig to take either my electric OR a mic (acoustic or my sax) and I'm trying to find a sub-octave solution for both electric guitar and sax. I would assume the OC2 would be fine for guitar (one note at a time) as the signal probably isn't as harmonically rich as a bell-mic'd tenor sax.

Will the OC2 track a tenor nicely? Or do I need to go with a POG2 or something? I'm going for that 'wait is that guy playing tenor or bari...or guitar or bass? do my eyes deceive me?' in a live looping setup. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
Bb saxes
170 Posts
On soprano the OC-2 stops tracking above G2. I use a Boss ps-5 on (two)octave setting, as it also tracks above G2. Doesn't matter if you play tenor, the OC-2 will track all of the normal range.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,006 Posts
The tracking of the OC-2 sucks... It's good if you want to get a sort synt-ish octaver sound.

If you want a cheap stomp-box with a good tracking buy a EH Micro-POG.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Also, give a try for Digitech whammy! It gives nice sound for low octave and tracks very well, way much better than boss oc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,902 Posts
Also, give a try for Digitech whammy! It gives nice sound for low octave and tracks very well, way much better than boss oc.
Only the old (first series) Whammys are nice. The newer ones should thin and digital IMHO. Just like everything else by Digitech.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Boss OC-2 is quite good, even being monophonic for sax is OK.

Have no point buy a poliphonic octave like EXH Micro POG for sax, unless it is being used for guitar, keyboards.

·
2,006 Posts
Boss OC-2 is quite good, even being monophonic for sax is OK.

Have no point buy a polyphonic octave like EXH Micro POG for sax, unless it is being used for guitar, keyboards.
You are confusing the POG... with the HOG.
The HOG is a very cool machine... it works also as a simple octave but, of course... you buy a HOG for making it to do much more than a simple "octaver".

The tracking of the OC-2 sucks a lot... it's not as accurate as on the POG/Micro POG.

·
2,006 Posts
The OC-2 is mainly used on bass to get that typical synth bass sound... so the tracking is designed to have some "dirt".
The POG is designed to be "transparent".
So I said the tracking is not so "precise" in the OC-2.

But it's also a matter of what you want to get out... both are octaver pedals but for slightly different purposes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Personally I use a Digitech Whammy for my octave stuff. I love being able to sweep from an added octave below to an octave up, plus there's all the other assignable harmonies in there and the pitch shifting etc. I've been playing with this pedal for a few years now and I feel like I still haven't gotten everything I can out of it, very versatile.
It's definitely mono though, it can "get confused" if you're not putting a clean pure tone through it (I always have it right at the beginning of my signal chain) Though that "fault" can be used for interesting effect as well, I've played multiphonics through it on some louder noise-ier gigs and it starts making crazy noises in reaction to that.

I've also seen the MXR Bass Octaver used to good effect. It's got really good tracking and a nice clean sound.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts