Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
It could also be excessively tightened rod so that the posts are bent slightly inbound and cause the sleeve to rub against the posts. Before you touch anything else, try with your finger to make sure that the arm moves freely by lifting up the cup and then releasing it / pushing it down. If there is any resistance, check all the posts above, loosen the rod a little bit and see if that changes anything and clean the rod and sleeve using a pipe dill and WD-40 or similar. Be careful when looking at the spring, the little screws like to jump off into never-never land and the thread in the arm can very easily be stripped if you overtighten the screw.

Like saxoclese said, MusicMedic sells the springs, but the most important parameter is the thickness. Length can be adjusted as long as you recreate the little hook at the end by carefully bending it at the correct spot and then cutting off any excessive length.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I'm a bit confused. There are typically no "pivot screws" involved anywhere in an octave mechanism or a neck octave key. Perhaps we are using different nomenclature for things. The picture below represents what are called "pivot screws" where I am from. The threaded steel rods that go inside hinge tubes (key barrels in the UK) are generally called "hinge rods", but some of the older techs refer to them as "steels".

View attachment 249084
You are correct, my bad to use the wrong terminology!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts