Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Conn 16M that I had into the local shop. They replaced a bunch of old rotten pads including the octave pad on the neck. Since then, I have been having issues going over the break and also a bit as the secondary octave key kicks in and this one closes. When I watched it as I was playing, it seems like it is kind of slow seating back down and as well, the pad doesn't seem to seat down over the hole as snugly as the old one. Last night I tried putting an elastic right near the pivot to give it a bit more spring back down and it seemed to help. I think I need to replace the flat spring that presses the octave key down with something a bit stronger. I guess I could take it back to the shop, but being fiercely independent, would like to find somewhere to get springs to replace this on my own. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update on my issue this morning. I was able to take out the "rod screw" ;-) and found that it was a bit sticky. I cleaned it and used it to clean the inside of the octave assembly with a bit of key oil. I wiped off the spot where the spring meets the neck - though it appeared clean. I bent the spring a bit to make it a bit more aggressive and put it back together. I also lubed the pivot points on the octave key rod on the main body. It worked MUCH better!

I may have to take apart and clean the octave key rod assembly at some point, but for now she's working better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am all for clarity and dis-ambiguation, if there is a way to pick the best word, we should try to do that but sometimes, it does get late or the post is made while multitasking other chores. :)
You guys are like dogs with a squirrel :) Back here guys. Octave key. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts