Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wondering what side pallet on my Holton Rudy Wiedoeft sax is used for.
I cant figure that out as it seems not to have a function
Can anybody shed a light on this?
Thanks and regards

Rodrigo

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
If you are talking about the key that is near the high E lever activated with the right hand, it is for trilling C or C# to D.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,950 Posts
That’s the octave key with the LH thumb pearl missing. Like Bruce says, added metal part. Not working? Part missing / bent or out of regulation. Yours looks bent and hitting the thumb rest. Go see a repair technician.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I'd take that extra bit off there. Because of the location of the axle, it's not going to work well at all. The Selmer design someone was trying to copy has the octave key hinged the other way round.

Looks to me like the pearl is present.

These old horns have complicated octave key mechanisms and if you're not familiar with them and have a lot of patience, it's tricky to get them adjusted correctly. A good repair person can unsolder that extra useless piece and get the thing properly adjusted for not very much money. Once it's properly adjusted it will stay taht way for many years.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I'd take that extra bit off there. Because of the location of the axle, it's not going to work well at all. The Selmer design someone was trying to copy has the octave key hinged the other way round.

These old horns have complicated octave key mechanisms and if you're not familiar with them and have a lot of patience, it's tricky to get them adjusted correctly. A good repair person can unsolder that extra useless piece and get the thing properly adjusted for not very much money. Once it's properly adjusted it will stay taht way for many years.
Good call. I have played vintage saxes with this type of octave key and know what they were trying to do. A better solution and one I have done a few times is to unsolder and move the thumb "button" as far as possible to the left and put a larger flat cover over it. This puts the thumb in a better position to press the octave key as it is, and makes it much more comfortable at the same time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,950 Posts

Good call. I have played vintage saxes with this type of octave key and know what they were trying to do. A better solution and one I have done a few times is to unsolder and move the thumb "button" as far as possible to the left and put a larger flat cover over it. This puts the thumb in a better position to press the octave key as it is, and makes it much more comfortable at the same time.
Both very true. Overall a less than desirable modification. Looks like the pearl is present although melted into the thumb rest.

Having this model in anything less than really good repair will constantly fight your playing enjoyment. Make it right or make room in the closet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts