Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

Forgive me if this has been covered, but I'm just returning from practicing and I'm was noticing/completely distracted by the way my octave key (on the neck) does this little hiccup when I play the interval A1 to D2. It does a little jump and then settles into place.

If I move the neck off to the side, the gap between the octave lever and the bottom of the neck increases to the point where the little jump stops.

Q1: can this affect the sound
Q2: if it does, can I fix it just by sanding down the cork on the octave lever (where the lever contacts the bottom of the octave arm), or is this more complicated?

Thanks for reading

R.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It could be due to your left ring finger closing the G key after you have already pressed the octave key without it being depressed--or pressing the octave key a fraction of a second earlier than the rest of your fingers closing the keys. I don't know why moving the neck would have helped, so maybe my diagnosis of the problem could be slightly flawed.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Many factors can affect this, including the nature of the linkage materials, the "moment of inertia" of the neck key, type of lubrication, the geometry where the G key links with the octave mechanism, what NIMOGT wrote, etc, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts