Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:angry9::angry9::angry9:http://forum.saxontheweb.net/images/smilies/angry9.gif

Hi, me having problems again, I think I will have to get this sax checked over, but I thought I would ask for advice 1st
problem is lower F E and D breaks the octave (up) when playing them usually after playing with the octave key notes, then hitting one of these lower notes quickly. I have done some sort of tests and I find if I play the lower F E D and think 'high' it changes the the octave up very very easy? It seems I only have tighten my embourture slightly and it goes up an ocve (without using the octave key) It is driving me to despair, I am using Yamaha 4c, 2.1/2 reed on Bauhaus Walstein curvy sop.
your help will be greatly appreciated,
John (fed up) and (angry)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,029 Posts
The octave keys are not aligned and the upper octave pad is probably leaking. Make sure that the lower one only opens from D up through G# and only the upper pad opens from A up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Bruce, yes it does that ok, but I have noticed that if when the lower octave pad is closed, I can lift it very slightly with my finger, it can be moved up and down (very slightly) as if there is no spring preasure, the spring is on and working though? perhaps it needs adjustment
thanks John

·
Registered
328 Posts
Have the soprano checked out anyway, as this is important no matter what.
However, I put my money on the fact that you aren't an experienced soprano player!

Take it to the tech, to be sure! :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
The lower notes are difficult for everyone, especially starter (like me). I have played for a year now and I am finally getting it under control. I think your statement
I have done some sort of tests and I find if I play the lower F E D and think 'high' it changes the the octave up very very easy?
is right on. These little horns are that touchy. Bruce set mine up, so I knew it was good, so I just concentrated on me and the playing part. It will come ... and when it does .... :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
+1 Have it checked first. I am also not an experienced soprano player. I used to have G2 squeak a lot. I thought it was my problem until one day I found a leak from the botton above G (the one pushed by cork when pressing G botton). It is a easy fix and it becomes much better.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found it!!!!! lower octave pad,when closed you can open it ever so slightley with your finger, I tried it while playing low f then while still blowing that note moved the octave pad open with my Finger, all it needed was just a light touch to open it and change the octave. Taken today to my repairer here in Worcester to have it fixed! Phew at last!!!
thanks for everyones contributions
John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts