Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi hi guys, the time has come for me to start constructing my final year recital, a 40 minute programme. My teacher has encouraged me to look outside the box when it comes to standard classical repertoire and have a look at new, innovative, obscure, not as well known and generally interesting repertoire, for alto, soprano or tenor sax.

So my question to the forum is, what is a piece/pieces/work/composer which you think is brilliant but doesn't get the credit or recognition it deserves, or is generally unknown?

I'm looking for around DipABRSM/LRSM standard, but it can be easier. However short, however long, mainly looking for broadly classical but any influence welcome! I'd be particularly interested if anybody knew of any folk inspired music, as I have some folk-inspired pieces already in my idea bank.

· Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,590 Posts
It's not a new piece, but I am a big fan of Dressel's Partita. It's not quite obscure, but it does not get the mainstream play time it deserves. There is a lot of music packed in there, and it's also quite audience-accessible.

· Distinguished SOTW Member and Sax Historian
563 Posts
Leo Ornstein "Ballade" for alto sax and piano. Ornstein was an important and fascinating composer/performer in the first part of the 20th century. Ballade is his only work for saxophone and is fierce, brilliant and emotional. My recording is on my American Landscapes CD that features new or unknown American works for soprano or alto saxophone.
Paul Cohen

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not a new piece, but I am a big fan of Dressel's Partita.
Leo Ornstein "Ballade" for alto sax and piano.
Thank you so much! Yes I suppose "new" was the wrong word - I'm not just looking for modern or new music, anything at all that you think is interesting or innovative or just downright great! I'm just listening to the Dressel right now and I'm liking what I hear, and I'll check out your American Landscapes CD, that's just the kind of music I'm looking to explore right now!

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Happy to send the Ornstein as well as the Alec Wilder, another work you will enjoy learning about
Paul Cohen
I've found the Ornstein and I love it!! Exactly the kind of vivid music I really enjoy!! It would be wonderful if you could send me the Alec Wilder though, thanks so much! I also love the sound of the Lane and the Cohen sonatas from the previews, again really evocative music!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.